New Post Advanced Search

Who do I pay?

8 replies 102 views
I used a claims company to deal with my PPI a few years back and owe them £800. Just before the pandemic I had a law enforcement officer knocking my door with a high court writ (highly embarrassing) saying that I now owed the company that he works for £2500!! I’ve arranged to pay back ex amount a month but I’m still having emails and text from the claims company saying I owe them £1100? Should I stop paying the monthly fee and come to an agreement with the claims company? Or do I continue paying the law enforcement officer who turned up at my door with a high court writ?

thanks in advance 

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who exactly was this 'law enforcement officer' you're paying?
  • GrowingreensGrowingreens Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post
    Andrew Wilson & Co High Court Enforcement 
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not a law enforcement officer.  That's a balliff.

Exactly what are you paying them for? What does the CCJ relate to?
    9 posts
    First Post
    well I was a bit disgruntled at the fee they charged me. Although they sent a letter to my bank I dealt with the whole process after that so was reluctant to pay the £800 fee. Apparently they went to the high court as I hadn’t paid it and it was passed over to this company to collect the debt. I just bit the bullet and agreed to pay the amount in installments, all £2500 when it was originally £800 :-( 

• edited 6 July at 1:34PM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 July at 1:34PM
    Why were you disgruntled? You'd agreed the fee with them beforehand, so it would have been in line with that. 

They couldn't do any more work for you than post your complaint off. It's always down to the complainant to deal with any subsequent work, as you're the only one who knows the details of your complaint.
    9 posts
    First Post
    My understanding is that they would do all the negotiating with the bank, not just send them a letter and charge £800 for it. I provided them with all the details so surely they should have dealt with it? 

More to the point, I’m  wanting to know who I’m to pay now more than anything. There’s a big difference between paying £2,500 and £1,100
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no negotiation to be done. It's a defined process. All £800 buys is a stamp.

If the payments are for a CCJ for that debt, then that's who you continue paying.
    9 posts
    First Post
    bummer! I’m in the wrong job!!!!
    Thanks for your replies :-)