Copy Of Will- Email or Hard Copy only?

Options
My mother passed, I live abroad, have requested a copy of will death, certificate. DO these have to be sent via physical mail or can i get copies of these via email? Siblings tell me one thing I believe another and so looking for some form of guidance with it. I suspect siblings maybe are being difficult. If this is the case can i request one from the solicitor dealing with the estate via email. Are all decisions final via the executor? (older sister, Who just happens to be living in my mothers home, Rent free! the home is paid for already

Thanks in Advance  :)

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The solicitor won't deal with you unless instructed by the executor, 
    You could wait until probate has been granted.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You have no right to see the will, that is at the discretion of the executor. Once probate has been granted it becomes a public document, but if you are a residual beneficiary the executor should provide you with a copy and a set of estate accounts.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you need the death certificate?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • GulliverTravelled
    Options
    and so with non communicative siblings i guess i wait for someone to contact me? Solictor etc?
  • ames1010
    ames1010 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. If you have been left something in her will, I would have thought that you would be contacted by the executor of the will. However, i’m sure someone will be on here to tell you of that’s the case or not. You can order a copy of the death certificate if you wish to have one. The executor will have a copy so that she can close bank accounts etc- again I’m sure someone will go into more detail about that.  If you have asked for a copy of the will, and your sister won’t show you- then you can look for it online as once the executor applies for probate- then the will can be downloaded online- it was £1.50 for a copy as I did it the other day. 
    It must be very frustrating that you aren’t getting the information you would like about your mother’s passing and what she has put in her will at this current moment. However, as I said- you can order a copy of the death certificate and get a copy of the will. Good luck 
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ames1010 said:
    Sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. If you have been left something in her will, I would have thought that you would be contacted by the executor of the will. However, i’m sure someone will be on here to tell you of that’s the case or not. You can order a copy of the death certificate if you wish to have one. .............. 
    Executor only has to contact beneficiary when they are ready to distribute the estate - eg to ask for ID, bank details etc.
    ames1010 said:
    ................... If you have asked for a copy of the will, and your sister won’t show you- then you can look for it online as once the executor applies for probate- then the will can be downloaded online- it was £1.50 for a copy as I did it the other day. 
    You can only obtain copy of will in this way after Probate has been granted, rather than when executor applies for it.

Having said that, in most families it would be normal for sibling executor to provide copies of relevant documents to other siblings.  

• GulliverTravelled
    Options
    Has my sister the right to live long term in my mothers home rent free? Her name is not on the deeds? the will states the home is to be split three ways, My logic says at some point i can charge her rent? Why should she live rent free? 

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Has my sister the right to live long term in my mothers home rent free? Her name is not on the deeds? the will states the home is to be split three ways, My logic says at some point i can charge her rent? Why should she live rent free? 

She can if the will gives her the right to do so, whether that is for a set period or for life, and no you will not be entitled to any rent.

If not then the house will need to be sold or she will need to buy her siblings out of their share. If that is the case it is better to have the property occupied than empty until a sale is completed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback