Options
2»

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 July 2020 at 11:56AM
    Options
    I have had (and used) a lead acid battery three part take apart scooter for the last 3 years - it is way to heavy for my wife to lift to get in to the car boot but is much better when assembled than most lightweight models - it even has suspension
    So its up to you - you can always get a crane fitted in the car to help lift the scooter - don't know whether you have to pay the full wack for this or whether Motabilty contribute ?
    I would be extremely careful with the Velobike - it is WAY too cheap and presumably cheaply made in china - it also does 8mph so is illegal to use on pavements etc
    What are spares like to get hold of and also - it weighs a ton - so is not going to fit in a car easily
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    YES it is heavy to lift battery & rear wheels in. 
    So completely unsuitable for the OP's 80 year old mother to do that for her husband.
    The only practical solution is a hoist and scooter combination.
    50Twuncle said:So its up to you - you can always get a crane fitted in the car to help lift the scooter - don't know whether you have to pay the full wack for this or whether Motabilty contribute ?
    Yes Motability contribute heavily for one, if required.  https://www.motability.co.uk/products/adaptations/prices/#wheelchair-stowage-in-car-systems
    But not all of us are, or can be, on the Motability scheme and I suspect that will apply to the OP's father?

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    YES it is heavy to lift battery & rear wheels in. 
    So completely unsuitable for the OP's 80 year old mother to do that for her husband.
    The only practical solution is a hoist and scooter combination.
    50Twuncle said:So its up to you - you can always get a crane fitted in the car to help lift the scooter - don't know whether you have to pay the full wack for this or whether Motabilty contribute ?
    Yes Motability contribute heavily for one, if required.  https://www.motability.co.uk/products/adaptations/prices/#wheelchair-stowage-in-car-systems
    But not all of us are, or can be, on the Motability scheme and I suspect that will apply to the OP's father?

Quite correct. Hence my statement.

As to mobility. The charges you link to (pretty sure) are only when it is installed at the same time as you order a new car via the mobility scheme.
    A phone call to them would confirm that.
    I agree that it would be unlikely that the OP's would qualify for that anyway.
    Life in the slow lane
  • robben_2
    robben_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I was in the same situation. I was looking for a mobility scooter for my elderly mother. I wanted one that was lightweight and foldable so that it could easily be transported in the boot of my car when driving her to her local shops.

After lots of research, I opted for the Drive Spitfire Scout 4 as it was foldable and relatively lightweight. What I liked about it was it broke into separate parts so it could be carried more easily into my car without too much effort. You can also use a scooter lift that fits in your vehicle which will automatically lift the scooter into your car without having to lift it.

I’ve found this site which gives some information about the scooter: https://bestmobilityaids.com/best-foldable-mobility-scooters/

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    robben_2 said:

After lots of research, I opted for the Drive Spitfire Scout 4 as it was foldable and relatively lightweight.

I have one very similar to that and i definitely wouldn't call it light weight. Yes, it comes in parts but it's still quite heavy and takes up an awful lot of room in the boot of a car and my car isn't exactly small.

• Placitasgirl
    Options
    My husband has an eFoldi mobility scooter which we have found invaluable since he became disabled. At the moment we have the original model which, although quite heavy I can lift into the boot of our Volvo XC40. It folds quite neatly and is quick and easy to set up and collapse. 

eFoldi has recently launched a new version of the scooter which is lighter and has some design differences and we are currently debating whether to switch to this version so he could manage it himself and have a bit more independence, enabling him to go out and about without me if he wished, which he can't at the moment. I believe they company are currently waiting for stock of the new model to arrive in the UK, but you could contact them for an update if this type of scooter was of interest. 

We've had our eFoldi for 2 years and it really has been transformative for hubby and I. I appreciate that It is quite an investment, but one that we would most definitely recommend from our experience. I hope this may be of help/interest. 

https://efoldi.com
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My husband has an eFoldi mobility scooter which we have found invaluable since he became disabled. At the moment we have the original model which, although quite heavy I can lift into the boot of our Volvo XC40. It folds quite neatly and is quick and easy to set up and collapse. 

eFoldi has recently launched a new version of the scooter which is lighter and has some design differences and we are currently debating whether to switch to this version so he could manage it himself and have a bit more independence, enabling him to go out and about without me if he wished, which he can't at the moment. I believe they company are currently waiting for stock of the new model to arrive in the UK, but you could contact them for an update if this type of scooter was of interest. 

We've had our eFoldi for 2 years and it really has been transformative for hubby and I. I appreciate that It is quite an investment, but one that we would most definitely recommend from our experience. I hope this may be of help/interest. 

https://efoldi.com
    The problem with the eFoldi is the number of wheels - 4 wheels good = 3 wheels bad - unstable on bumpy ground etc

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback