New Post Advanced Search

Are Expenses taxed as income?

40 replies 668 views
If employer says I can buy a monitor to work from home with and it is reimbursed as expenses  
Does the monitor belong to me?  
and when the money appears on my payslip will it be taxed as income?  

Replies

• BrynsamBrynsam Forumite
    3.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your employer pays for it, why would it belong to you?

Reimbursement of expenses would not normally be subject to tax or NI,  if the item purchased belongs to the employer.
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would you think it belonged to you? Do you think the computer at the office they provide for your use belongs to you?
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have been told by our employer that we can keep the monitor they have provided. So maybe best to check with your employer. We can’t keep the computer which was provided as it will have to be returned either when we go back to working in the office, or if we leave the employment before then. 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £191 / £1000
  • edited 5 July at 8:58AM
    vacheronvacheron Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 July at 8:58AM
    We have been told by our employer that we can keep the monitor they have provided. So maybe best to check with your employer. We can’t keep the computer which was provided as it will have to be returned either when we go back to working in the office, or if we leave the employment before then. 
    Then in your case the monitor may be considered a benefit in kind and may be taxed in that manner (the same may apply to the OP "if" they have been told the same.

• Company buys monitor for employee to use at home (not "company buys employee a monitor")
    • Employee submits expenses form which is reimbursed in full without any tax implications. 
    • Company they says employee can keep the monitor (gives it to the employee) which is now second hand.
    • The value of the second hand monitor may be considered a benefit in kind and be taxed accordingly (unless it is considered to be of less than £50 value at the time.. 

• The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Forumite
    80 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Did you buy the monitor yourself with the promise of reimburment? Or did the employer deliver it to you?

To those who asked.. I don't think it will belong to me or not belong to me, I was asking in case there is some employment law which makes it black and white. As it is the situation is ambiguous, other types of expenses are not paid back  and  as you can see by this other reply above.  I have asked my employer no reply (big organisation).

• ACGACG Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your employer pays you back for it, then it belongs to them. If it wasnt expensive they might not want it though as it will go down in value by the time you end up working from the office again. 

It is a reimbursement of an expense so it is not normally taxable. Your employer will be able to put it down as a business expense but thats nothing for you to worry about. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • steampoweredsteampowered Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the employers' policies. Sometimes it will belong to the employer, sometimes it will belong to the employee.

In reality though, even if belongs to the employer, the employer is unlikely to want it back! Unless you leave their employment in the next few months I suppose.
  • LittleVoiceLittleVoice Forumite
    8.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Employers, as different from users of self-employed contractors, are generally expected to provide their employees with the means of carrying out their work. 
    If they asked you to buy the monitor and then reimbursed you and it is only to do your work, then it is not a taxable benefit.  Presumably you had some kind of monitor for your own use before this additional one was received.
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

If they pay for it, then it belongs to them, if they want it back again or not is a completely different question and you would need to ask them. If it a cheap monitor that they have got just for you to use at home whilst homeworking in the current situation it will probably be no use to them so they may not want it back.

• DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    IT equipment older than 3-4 years it will often be written off by IT so some companies allow you can keep things (or pay a nominal sum to buy it - I once bought an old laptop for £50.) but if you were to leave employment in the first 3 years then they would certainly want it back.