Identity verification problem for Universal Credit

Jim1984
Jim1984 Posts: 21 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 4 July 2020 at 12:48PM in Benefits & tax credits
While putting in a new UC claim I was asked for verification and put passport details, driving license and credit card details in Post Office verification. It stated verified successfully and redirected me back to the HMRC site where it then said "unable to match your details".
So I tried again. Same thing.
Next up I tried Digidentity. Same thing. Said I was verified, redirected and then couldn't match details. I did it a fourth time and this time videoed it. Went through everything three times. All correct. Same thing.
I vaguely recall helping someone years ago with this and had hassle then. There was more options than two companies back then and eventually one worked. now just two and neither working.
Could it be I had tax credits which should now have ended as I've made a UC application? Or because I put previous address on verification as that is where everything is registered as only just moved and the UC claim is for a new home - though the previous home was listed on my UC application and that is where my documents are registered?
Many thanks

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It will probably be the address issue, so you will have to phone UC 0800 328 5644 to request an verify ID appointment.
    You are not alone.  The online ID verification process was at one time only successful for half of the people who tried. 
    It is only once your ID Is confirmed for UC, that your details are passed to HMRC to stop the Tax Credits claim.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 July 2020 at 4:38PM
    huckster said:
    It is only once your ID Is confirmed for UC, that your details are passed to HMRC to stop the Tax Credits claim.
    Is the Stop Notice triggered automatically by software or by manual intervention?

DWP advice to CPAG in 2018 appeared to say that the Stop Notice is automatically triggered when the UC claim is submitted (which could be before ID verification has been completed). See https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/resources/article/defective-claims-revisited
    the determination for the purposes of regulation 8 is done by the computer system at the very moment that a claim is submitted.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the ID is verified using one of the online verification services, this is registered on the UC system and if there is a match with current Government records  i.e National Insurance, then the stop notice is automatically sent fo HMRC.  If the online ID verification does not work or does match Government records, then the ID verification  process has to be done via manual process and once the ID is properly verified by UC, the stop notice is system issued to HMRC.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks huckster.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback