New Post Advanced Search

Student Finance Problem

2 replies 90 views
TheGreenwoodsTheGreenwoods Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
My daughter qualified as a Children’s Nurse in 2011 after studying for a Nursing Diploma at UCLAN. This course was funded and required no student finance at all.

Since this time she has worked on a children’s ward at Blackburn, at Derian House Children’s Hospice and within a safeguarding role in East Lancashire and Preston. She has also had two children in this time; the youngest is due to start school in September. She decided that it would be a good time to further her studies, so she applied to do a Child Psychology degree at UCLAN. She was accepted onto the course; however, when she applied for student finance she was told she wasn’t eligible for a grant to cover her tuition fees because of her previous study, although she was entitled to the maintenance loan.

She has been told that she would be eligible for a loan to cover tuition fees if she did the course part-time, taking six years instead of three.

It appears to me that she is being unfairly excluded from full-time study and I cannot understand why she should not be eligible for a loan when she has not received any student finance previously.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Replies