Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

What can I add to compost to help drainage

New Post Advanced Search

What can I add to compost to help drainage

4 replies 136 views
I bought Bulrush Professional John Innes No.3 compost to repot a bamboo plant and a gooseberry plant but the soil doesn't drain water so what can I use to help drainage.

Replies

• -taff-taff Forumite
    12K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there holes in your planter? If there are, don't worry, they'll be fine.
  • Welsh_and_proudWelsh_and_proud Forumite
    78 posts
    10 Posts
    -taff said:
    Are there holes in your planter? If there are, don't worry, they'll be fine.
    Yes the pot has holes. The leave on the bamboo plant are turning yellow so I don't want to use the same soil for the gooseberry plant. When the soil gets wet it seems to clump together and doesn't drain.
  • edited 4 July at 9:59AM
    DiggerUKDiggerUK Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 July at 9:59AM
    Unpot  everything, examine the compost. It sounds like a case of overwatering, diseased roots or drainage holes that are too small. A few crocks or sizeable stones in the bottom will sort the drainage.

I suspect you may need ericaceous compost, both plants can tolerate acidic soil..._
    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Financial Adviser.
    'Forward to the British Spring' 'Viva Wikileaks'
    Justice for Harry Dunn
  • Welsh_and_proudWelsh_and_proud Forumite
    78 posts
    10 Posts
    DiggerUK said:
    Unpot  everything, examine the compost. It sounds like a case of overwatering, diseased roots or drainage holes that are too small. A few crocks or sizeable stones in the bottom will sort the drainage.

I suspect you may need ericaceous compost, both plants can tolerate acidic soil..._
    I was told to use john innes 3 for the bamboo so I got  2 pots the same but I planted one bamboo in westlands john innes 3 without stones in the bottom and I don't have a problem with drainage but using the same method with bulrush professional john innes 3 the soil doesn't drain. Adding stones might help but I think it's the soil as if you wet the soil and dig a spade in the soil it sounds like you are digging in wet sand.