Refund

My car insurance renewed automatically on a vehicle I no longer owned. Without thinking I didn't stop it (as a busy working parent does) I eventually came to realise 11 months into the policy. I  contacted insurance company who told me I could have a refund if I provided proof that I no longer owned vehicle. By the time I had received my proof from DVLA(thats the only  way I could prove and it took weeks) the insurance policy had lapsed, the colleague at the insurance company didn't state that I needed to provide proof before insurance lapsed or I couldn't claim a refund and  they now tell me that I am no longer entitled to a refund as there is no longer a policy! Is this correct, are they allowed to do this. I have no paperwork as it was all done online. With the current economic situation & both receiving furlough wages we could do with that £300 😢 

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Moral of the story , regularly check your bank statements.

Don't ignore renewal paperwork.

You've left it too long
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The vehicle was on risk as far as the underwriter was concerned, and it's now lapsed. 
    Unfortunately they don't need to do anything, it's a paperwork error on your part and you'll just have to suck it up. 

Sorry, but it's unreasonable to expect anything else when the policy has now ended. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback