Amex credit limit increase

Opened an Amex platinum credit card recently but find myself repaying a couple of grand each month as the limit is lower than my usual limits. 

I only want to use it for the cashback part and next year to change / open the gold one for airport passes. Anyway, I digress. 

I've read a lot that Amex let you ask for increases online, I've seen this and can fill in the form but don't want to yet as it's not quite 3 months old. But, and my question is, if they're happy with account conduct and wish to increase it for me, when do they offer this? 

For example I've read a lot on here where people say they had an increase after 3 months after being offered it by Amex. So was this offer after 3 months, or after 2 months giving a months notice? That's what I'm trying to establish really. Is it best to apply online after 3 months or will they write out slightly earlier (or indeed after) offering an increase? 

Similarly, second question if I apply for an increase online, let's say I ask for £25k limit. Would the system refer it or does it just offer what is available (if anything) i.e does it say "sorry can't offer £25k but can offer £20k. Click to accept this" or does it actually refer it as a serious request? 

I know there's no guarantees or anything but I'm just trying to learn how Amex works as I'm new to them. 

My credit is fine and I earn a decent wage and only have prime cards with generally high limits, but mostly paid off / spare cards (ie Zero for holiday. Nationwide for BT's etc). 

Thanks for any help. 

Comments

• adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 July 2020 at 5:21PM
    I think Amex is at least 90 -180 days but I can’t find it confirmed on their website. 
  • jay1804
    jay1804 Posts: 426 Forumite
    CS said thats it's normally 3 months when you get an offer, I've had one for almost 5 statements and I haven’t received an increase yet, but I think it's because I payed off a lot of the balance before the statement date. I was told by the CS you can request every 3 months, if you request before the 3 months it will auto decline.

So it's probably best to just wait - as least when you make a payment it comes off the balance straight away.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    A 'minimum' of three months if you get a CLI offered from Amex. 
    On a new account, six months before a customer initiated CLI.
  • funkycredit
    funkycredit Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    A 'minimum' of three months if you get a CLI offered from Amex. 
    On a new account, six months before a customer initiated CLI.
    Thanks. So for me to initiate one (platinum cashback credit card) I must wait 6 months? 

I've read on here people doing it after 3, on a new account. Maybe different card - I cant remember tbh. 
  • funkycredit
    edited 3 July 2020 at 8:08PM
    jay1804 said:
    CS said thats it's normally 3 months when you get an offer, I've had one for almost 5 statements and I haven’t received an increase yet, but I think it's because I payed off a lot of the balance before the statement date. I was told by the CS you can request every 3 months, if you request before the 3 months it will auto decline.

So it's probably best to just wait - as least when you make a payment it comes off the balance straight away.
    Thanks. That's the thing, I've cleared my balance twice this month already (as in June). Unavoidable. So my two statements to date show £0 / no payment due albeit I've earned £84 cashback so far so spent And repaid bit. Hope that doesn't go against me. Bonkers if so. :( 
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I've read a lot that Amex let you ask for increases online, I've seen this and can fill in the form but don't want to yet as it's not quite 3 months old. But, and my question is, if they're happy with account conduct and wish to increase it for me, when do they offer this?
    I took out my AmEx card in September 2017, so I got my first statement in October 2018. I see that my December 2017 statement shows the first increase in my credit limit (from the initial £4,000 to £6,000). The first increase therefore appears to have been offered to me about three months after I opened the account. The second increase (to £14,000) appears on my December 2018 statement - i.e., after another year. It hasn't been increased since then, but I have never asked for an increase. £14k is more than enough for my needs. (TBH, £4k is plenty - I rarely spend more than £1k in a month, and always pay it off in full. But I don't refuse an increase if it's offered.)

• funkycredit
    Thanks. Really helpful - so I'll just wait. I won't initiate anything. 

Cheers again. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure