eon withdraw economy 11 tariff Any ideas

Options

I have had economy 11 electricity with eastern electricity, now eon since I bought my house many years ago

I noticed that last bill that I was being charged, not for a normal tariff and a timed tariff, but for two normal tariffs, with two normal standing charges.

I contacted eon explaining the situation and asking why my economy 11 had disappeared. I understood that the companies could not unilaterally remove tariff. I also understood that they had to put you on their cheapest tariff.

I registered with eon and on line as they said they would not answer because of Coved 19. This is June not march when I would have been more sympathetic. The technology is there to allow people to work from Home – I do!

Eon’s first response was to ask me for my account details that I had already supplied. I did this.

Eon’s  response was to confirm that I had a timed meter and a normal meter and that I was paying a normal rate for both. I received an e mail thanking me for my query and that if I sent them a photo of my meter, they would update their records.

I duly photographed the meters. Eon replied acknowledging that I had a normal and a timed meter suggesting that I visit their website to compare and choose a tariff. Eon me reassured me that my meters were working. Obviously, they are from Eon’s point of view as they are charging a day rate for night time electricity. I want my economy 11 back!

I wrote yet again explaining the situation. This time I got a reply saying that They did not understand what my query was.

I explained yet again

Finally, I got a reply saying that eon had withdrawn support for my tariff and that they had sent me an e mail and a letter last year. I only registered for an on-line account in June I find this difficult to believe that I was ever sent an email. On the grounds that they could not even find my account it does make you wonder about the letter.

In any case “one letter”, if you don’t pay you get several threatening letters. Most people who have these accounts are elderly so I really would have expected eon to make more of an effort to contact people. Many of the people on these tariffs will be elderly and won’t have the spare money to be able to make these payments. Eon said that they could not answer the phone. I know it is stereotypical, but many elderly people cannot use the internet without hep. My parents cannot.

This is at least very poor customer service

I want my economy 11 back.

Any help/ideas gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suggest you research whether or not that tariff is still available and, if it is, raise a complaint with e.on.

I think economy 11 may be a rare and old tariff.  Are you in some part of Scotland where there is no mains gas?  I have heard of such tariffs being discontinued as they are just not economically viable for the provider any more but do not know if that is the case with yours.  Other than that, it would seem your best bet is to find the most economical tariff available in your area; there are plenty of comparison sites to help you including the Cheap Energy Club on here although it does not cover the whole of the market.  Apparently, the Citizens' Advice site does.  HTH.  (Hope this helps)
  • stewie_griffin
    stewie_griffin Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure you don't mean E10 or E18 as I know they were available in the Eastern area, but I've never heard of E11 before.
  • stewie_griffin
    Options
    AFAIK e.on have withdrawn all of their complex metering tariffs and now only off single rate or two rate (E7 or E10). You should have had a letter (or letters) to explain the tariff was ending and offering an alternative meter.
  • EventfulDaze
    Options
    Economy 11 is old, it was designed for use with old storage meters. They eon claim that they sent a letter, however they also claim that they sent me an email. Ads they did not have my email address I think that this was unlikely.
    I have my doubts about eon's honesty. some time ago I sent a meter reading in they responded by saying that I seemed to have used a lot of electricity and "was I Sure", aS they did not want to overcharge me It turned out that I was owed a significant refund and they were clearly trying to get my attention.
    One letter is absurd. If you don't pay you get warning letters, many of whom will be elderly. I would have thought that any organisation that wants to keep their customers would have made more of an effort
  • stewie_griffin
    Options
    What was the actual name of your tariff as it wasn't Economy 11. Have you asked for a copy of the letter. If you put in a SAR then you should get to see a time stamp of when the letter was produced.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2020 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Economy 11 is old, it was designed for use with old storage meters.
    Storage heaters perhaps?
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning EventfulDaze,

I'm sorry that we didn't fully understand when you contacted us, we are now here to help.

Thanks stewie_griffin, that's correct, Since May, as part of the Simpler Meters project, we've sent letters to all our remaining customers who have complex meters, to let them know we’ll move them onto our standard price tariffs. We can't put customers back on to a complex metering tariff as we can't support them anymore.

There should be a record of when the letter was sent on your account.

All our complex meter customers are eligible for all the unrestricted tariffs we offer, as long as they have the correct payment method for their chosen tariff.

It may be worth contacting us and having a word with the simpler metering team.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • EventfulDaze
    Options
    Helena,
              Unfortunately the simpler meter team are not there at the moment  (Friday), nor apparently have they been since lockdown. E-on have had several months to sort this out.
             It took an hour and a half waiting on the phone to get that far. Your staff were very pleasant and helpful, but cannot resolve this problem. The only people who can have not been working for months.All the while I am paying expensive rates for my electricity!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback