Car Insurance and DVLA Medical condition

Options
Hi
Hope all are safe and well and thank you in advance for any help that can be offered.
i was looking for some advice please on how I answer the question for the reportable DVLA medical condition.  I am currently in limbo as on discharge from hospital I was advised not to drive until I had been seen again in clinic in 6 weeks time which I am abiding to. 
I still hold a full licence and I have not had to surrender my licence and my license has not been revoked.  
The condition I had is reportable to the DVLA and I have completed the relevant form and submitted this with supporting information. 
As of yet I have had no acknowledgement or decision from the DVLA.
So my question is how do I answer this question for a quote do I say I do have a condition and that the DVLA in not aware or that they are aware and ok to drive.  Both of which are technically not true.
I have tried to call some insurance companies and had various answers from I’m fine to drive and the DVLA are aware as i have sent the form to I can’t be covered or quoted until I get the outcome.  My current provider I’m yet to get a response from as you can’t ring them! 
Thanks in advance for any replies and help.

Comments

• JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DVLA seem to have gone into collective hiding at moment. Have a friend in similar position to yourself who has not been able to get an answer from them since start of lockdown, other than they are not dealing with anything medical.
  • markyv
    markyv Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I wonder if anybody could help me with an issue similar to matt_79 above.
    I have been advised by my consultant that due to my medical condition I need to inform DVLA  accordingly. I haven't got a full diagnosis but the consultant has said I am suffering from 'Temporal lobe seizures' and has prescribed medication accordingly and said I should not drive for 12 months.
    Wrongly or rightly I have surrendered my licence to DVLA, is this the correct thing to do or have I made an error in doing this.
    Secondly, my car insurance is due shortly and I want to know if I'm able to retain my 18 years worth of No Claims Bonus for the period I am not driving?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What is going to be happening with your car in the 12 months?

Most insurers will recognise an NCD for up to 2 years after it was last used on a policy. There used to be one or two that would accept up to 3 years but you then it could for that year be cheaper to go else where with an introductory bonus than go with one of those insurers with your max NCD.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback