Forum Home» Mortgages & Endowments

Instruct solicitor without lenders details?

New Post Advanced Search

Instruct solicitor without lenders details?

13 replies 310 views
I'm unable instruct a solicitor until I know who my lender is (the lender may specify from a lenders panel). In the meantime I'm being pursued to supply the solicitors details in order to progress.

What options do I have?

Replies

• csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    can you clarify if you have applied to a lender or are you waiting to find the right house with the buyer of your house pressuring you?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    18.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was often a problem. Anything other than the tiniest conveyancing firms are likely to be on the panels of the main lenders. Only really an issue if you're going for an obscure lender, or want to use a one-man-band conveyancer.
  • Heres_the_dealHeres_the_deal Forumite
    70 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    csgohan4 said:
    can you clarify if you have applied to a lender or are you waiting to find the right house with the buyer of your house pressuring you?
    Sorry, I re-read my post and realised I left out the most obvious details !!
    I've place an offer on a property and had it accepted. I'm now in the process of using a broker to find the best mortgage. In the meantime, I'm being asked for my solicitors details which I don't have as I'm not sure who the lender will be.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    72.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel pressurised. Just tell the EA you haven't decided yet. There's nothing to progress at the moment. 
    “Chances are if you buy what everyone is buying you will do so only after it is already overpriced." - Sir John Templeton
    70 posts
    Don't feel pressurised. Just tell the EA you haven't decided yet. There's nothing to progress at the moment. 
    I was concerned over the status applied to the property. The EA use 'under offer' and 'STC', the former still open for viewing the latter no viewing accepted. Until I pass the solicitor details across it remains as under offer.  After a few false starts, I'm on the edge of my seat lol
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    72.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a reputable local firm with a conveyancing department to act for you. 
    “Chances are if you buy what everyone is buying you will do so only after it is already overpriced." - Sir John Templeton
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    18.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can name a solicitor at this stage safely enough, they're not likely to be doing any significant work or racking up costs for you until the mortgage offer appears anyway.
    70 posts

First off, thank you for all the replies, they've been extremely helpful.

Now that's out the way, why is it so hard to find a  solicitor that responds to enquiry's. I used the 'Compare and Convey' site to locate several firms, which all quote around the £1300 mark. However, if you obtain a quote direct from their websites it goes up to around £2100- over £800 more??

To date, only one company has responded to my initial email, and for every place I find that looks promising, the online reviews are scathing. It looks like I'm going to have to take a chance, so it may as well be local....unless, someone can come up with a suggestion?

• SanneSanne Forumite
    494 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Maybe ask your mortgage broker if they can recommend someone and put you in touch? Mine asked someone she knew to send me a quote - it was competitive so went with them. All local firms were rubbish at responding or not taking on new cases; they were about 45 mins drive away but didn’t need to see them in person.
    70 posts
    Sanne said:
    Maybe ask your mortgage broker if they can recommend someone and put you in touch? Mine asked someone she knew to send me a quote - it was competitive so went with them. All local firms were rubbish at responding or not taking on new cases; they were about 45 mins drive away but didn’t need to see them in person.
    We gave up on brokers and went direct to our bank (that's a whole new thread).  I'll end up using one of the firms from the Compare and Convey site, they're all competitive and they all get slated lol.  So, its just a case of fingers crossed, hold my nose and jump in. Otherwise I'll disappear up my own backside.