HMRC income tax rebate

I changed my job in the 18/19 tax year in August from working full time to a stay at home dad. My income that year was well below the tax threshold so I believe that I would be due a refund. However when I check my tax portal it says the income tax for that year hasn't been calculated yet. I have phoned HMRC on several occasions to be told someone would look into it but nothing happens and I don't  hear anything back. I believe after four years I won't be able to claim this money back. Also I put in a claim form which was acknowledged but have not heard anything else. I am at a total loss as to what to do next...?


  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
     I believe after four years I won't be able to claim this money back. 

    6 years.

    Did you submit it within the usual tax year deadlines or was this after the deadline?   pre-deadline cases get dealt with quickly.  Post deadline submissions take much longer.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin and MSE campaign win

April's 20% energy price guarantee hike postponed

MSE News

Childcare budget boost

More support for children from nine months and those on Universal Credit

MSE News

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools