New Post Advanced Search

which way do you hang your washing.

18 replies 972 views
I was all ways taught when you hang clothes on the line to hang them upside down because it dries quicker!. but my sister and also my ex, all ways hang theirs the other way. ie trousers by the waist. shirts by the shoulder. which is best?

Replies

• ka7eka7e Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trousers by the waist - gravity wicks the water away as well as direct sunlight drying them more quickly. Shirts etc by the bottom hem, unless they have pleats, interlining at neck, uneven hem etc - then I hang them by the shoulders.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also dry skirts and trousers by the waist, shirts by the hems .
  • SeaVixenSeaVixen Forumite
    198 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    All tops I dry on the coathanger. I'm sure it's not very good for them, but putting clothes away is my most despised chore, so if they're already on the hanger it's much easier
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same as you, by the waistband and shoulders.
    Unless it's knitwear which I try to dry flat so it doesn't go out of shape. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inside out 
  • edited 2 July at 10:28PM
    rach_krach_k Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July at 10:28PM
    If you wear it on your bottom, you hang it from the top.  If you wear it on your top, you hang it from the bottom.

That's what I was taught anyway!  Dresses count as something you wear on your top.  Where you peg things can distort the shape slightly, particularly with stretchy/knit fabrics, so you should do this at the least visible part.  You don't want lumpy shoulders or uneven legs on your trousers.  

However, for tops or dresses with a visible waist line, I hang them over the line with the waist line along the washing line.  My garden is windy so having weight on both sides of the line helps them stay hanging.  

Oh and inside out for anything the sunlight might fade.  The right way out for whites that benefit from a brighten.
  • RelievedSheffRelievedSheff Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't.
    They come out of the washer dryer dry and ready to put away.
  • gwynlasgwynlas Forumite
    563 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Shirts from hem at side seams, trouser from waistband at side seams.
  • daividdaivid Forumite
    429 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    For me drying time is not relevant. This time of year 3 or 4 loads would dry on a good day, in winter putting the washing out side is a waste of time, spring/autumn a load dries with ease put out before work, collected after. I peg trousers by the legs, shirts/tops by the waist, dresses and skirts by wrapping the thin loops (that are stiched in at the collar/waist) around the line then pegging over the top of the ribbon.
  • edited 3 July at 6:08PM
    Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July at 6:08PM
    I hang mine whichever way it comes to hand.  Agree with others on drying times.  At this time of year I run the spin speed down at 500rpm and clothes still dry on the line in less than 24 hours.  Spring and autumn I run at 700rpm and in the winter 900rpm.  My machine will do up to 1400rpm but there's no appreciable difference in drying time above 900rpm.  The only time I use the 1400 setting is the few times a winter I have to use the dryer.

Lower spin speeds saves a lot of wear and tear on belts and bearings.  I've only owned 4 washing machines in 24 years, raising a family in that time, and the fourth and current machine is only 18 months old.