Forum Home» Credit File & Ratings

How to claim compensation for error on my credit file

New Post Advanced Search

How to claim compensation for error on my credit file

14 replies 482 views
karen_dysonkaren_dyson Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
About six years ago, somebody fraudulently signed a mobile phone contract with EE using my address and a name similar to mine, and it has been affecting my ability to get credit.  I only recently discovered it, despite many enquiries to both EE and credit reference agencies (who all said that my credit was fantastic).  EE have now corrected it and offered £50 compensation.  I declined their offer of £50 because I know it has cost me a lot more than that over the last few years.  
Some of the issues I have had include being declined for credit cards, being unable to upgrade my bank account to qualify for free travel insurance, being unable to obtain a new mobile phone contract, being unable to change providers for internet etc.  I suspect it has also affected other things such as the price of my car insurance.  Does anyone have any advice on how to structure my compensation claim, and/or what to include.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    29K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take the £50. 

EE were defrauded by the individual, but have now resolved it.  I can't see that the Ombudsman would increase the compensation.

I'm also not sure how it would have affected your car insurance.  If you hadn't passed ID checks, you wouldn't have got insurance at all.
  • edited 2 July at 6:44PM
    onthemend88onthemend88 Forumite
    238 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 2 July at 6:44PM
    I would just take the offer. You will be waiting potentially over a year from any resolution with the FOS and your reasons won't go far without substantial proof. Take the £50. 
    First Time Buyer
    AIP 18/02/2020 - Full Application 25/02/2020 - Valuation - 16/03/2020
    17/03/2020 - Mortgage Offer Issued
    23/03/2020 - LOCKDOWN

19/06/2020 - Exchange of Contracts
    Completion date: 07/08/2020
  • MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    418 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Your credit file does not impact the price of your car insurance. 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    6.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Late / missed payments would mean instalments for car insurance may not be possible.
    CCJs / IVA / Bankruptcy mean some insurers wouldn't even quote you. 

Were you told the reason everytime you were declined for credit (highly doubtful as they cant / don't say). Do you have written proof of the reasons? Credit and upgrades are a privilege, not a right.

Without evidence, you can't even begin to quantify it.
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    385 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    If you take it to the Ombudsman and they don't find in your favour then the £50 will stand so really, you don't have anything to loose.
    Just furnish the Ombudsman with as much info and proof as you can.  You never know, you may get an increase but you won't get a reduction.
    Good luck!
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Op has declined the £50 offer. So do not believe it stands at this time?

karen_dyson
    "EE have now corrected it and offered £50 compensation.  I declined their offer of £50 because I know it has cost me a lot more than that over the last few years."  
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • D3xt3r5L4bD3xt3r5L4b Forumite
    957 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    How much has it cost you OP?

Whats the breakdown of sustainable losses?
  • adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    206 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I think you’d struggle to get any more. Yes it may have lost you opportunities but you aren’t guaranteed credit in any case do I can’t see how you’d win pushing for more. 
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About six years ago, somebody fraudulently signed a mobile phone contract with EE using my address and a name similar to mine, and it has been affecting my ability to get credit.  I only recently discovered it, despite many enquiries to both EE and credit reference agencies (who all said that my credit was fantastic).  EE have now corrected it and offered £50 compensation.  I declined their offer of £50 because I know it has cost me a lot more than that over the last few years.  
    Some of the issues I have had include being declined for credit cards, being unable to upgrade my bank account to qualify for free travel insurance, being unable to obtain a new mobile phone contract, being unable to change providers for internet etc.  I suspect it has also affected other things such as the price of my car insurance.  Does anyone have any advice on how to structure my compensation claim, and/or what to include.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You could have been declined for the examples even if the error wasn't on your file.
    Not sure how you can quantify a compensation amount, yes its annoying its happened but Id take the £50.
  • TakmonTakmon Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why it took you so long to check your credit files and spot the account that was in error. I would take the £50 because it's not EE's fault you didn't spot it until now.