Can I reject for full refund?

Options
Hi,

First post here.

I purchased a Sony TV from John Lewis on 2nd March 2020. On 4th May, this developed a fault where the TV just turned
itself off, then would turn back on and off repeatedly by itself. After trying some troubleshooting and nothing working, this was taken away for repair on 5th June. The delay was down to Covid and I fully understood that. 

The repair guys were great, however called and said there was power failure with TV and were replacing the main board (I think!). TV was back within a week and everything was fine until yesterday when it lost sound completely and the picture started jamming. Troubleshooting again won’t fix it. Called John Lewis and same repair company is coming on Friday to collect for a second repair. 

Now, I’m ok with the repair as we have a 5 year guarantee which will cover any repairs and it’s likely we’ll replace the TV after this time anyway, if not before. However, it’s just the hassle of being without the TV again and it doesn’t give me much confidence that it will not fail again. I know they have to verify the fault and that’s absolutely fine. I’m just wondering, given it was purchased in March, am I able to reject for a full refund after this fault has been verified? Or could the amount be reduced? 

I’ve also had the repairs done under warranty (I haven’t mentioned consumer rights) so I don’t know if that makes
a difference either.

I have no issue with the service from John Lewis, but would just like to know my rights. Many thanks. 

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When the TV failed the first time, did you contact JL about it? and was it them who organised the initial repair?
    If so then as there has been more than one failure, the Consumer rights act entitles you to reject the TV and as it's been less than 6 months from purchase, this must be a full refund.
    Expect JL to try to talk you out of this and if they do, simply state that you are rejecting the TV in accordance with your statutory rights as granted by section 24.5 of the consumer rights act.:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/24/enacted

(5)A consumer who has the right to a price reduction and the final right to reject may only exercise one (not both), and may only do so in one of these situations—

(a) after one repair or one replacement, the goods do not conform to the contract;

and the refund is covered by 24.10:

(10)No deduction may be made if the final right to reject is exercised in the first 6 months (see subsection (11)), unless—

(a)the goods consist of a motor vehicle, or

(b)the goods are of a description specified by order made by the Secretary of State by statutory instrument.

• sparrow857
    sparrow857 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you very much, that’s really helpful.

Yes, I contacted John Lewis Technical Support the first time and it was them who arranged the repair through a 3rd party company they use. I’ve contacted John Lewis again this time and same company is being used for second repair. 

I’ll wait and see what the repair company say this time as they called before they did the repair last time and will take it from there. 

Appreciate the help. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure