HL revamp their marketing list

New Post Advanced Search

HL revamp their marketing list

21 replies 1.1K views
talexusertalexuser Forumite
3K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
Email from HL says the Wealth 50 is being revamped to the "Wealth Shortlist" which may in fact be more than 50! In the days of 150 recommendations I never understood how you could come up with 150 active funds that consistently outperformed, or at least paid for themselves compared to a cheap tracker, and even 50 seemed a stretch to me (and I'm a predominantly active investor). The blurb comes with a lot of stuff of how they have listented to their customers and their concerns to revamp their recommended funds. Strangely they do not mention what their many customers may have told them about what they thought of their up to the last minute recommendation of Woodford.

Replies

• edited 1 July at 5:25PM
    quirkydeptlessquirkydeptless Forumite
    612 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    edited 1 July at 5:25PM
    Yes, calling it 150 or 50 was getting a bit silly when it wasn't that number.
    I noticed in the last revamp they added a new "Responsible" section with one fund in it (Kames Ethical Equity (Class B )), and now there are 3 funds in it (BNY Mellon Sustainable Real Return (W) and Legal & General Future World ESG Developed Index added) which is an interesting marketing trend, although none of this changes my investment choices.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • DandytfDandytf Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I moved that HL e-mail to 'later' folder.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Dec 2019 11140 paid 80% approx.-Next Update Early Jan 2021
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month-New Rules 2020
    Mid 2019/20-Virgin Money e-saver 14.
    H.L. Active -Charter Savings .65% 50 u.k. pounds.
  • edited 1 July at 6:36PM
    pafpcgpafpcg Forumite
    652 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 1 July at 6:36PM
    Dandytf said:
      I just deleted mine without reading any more than the subject line!
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm feeling left out. No email regarding the 'Wealth Shortlist' for me, just a series of them  inviting me to 'learn about some of the best investors in modern history'. Just what are HL implying :*
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dandytf said:

I moved mine to the wastebasket.
  • Sorcerer2018Sorcerer2018 Forumite
    71 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Yep I filed it in my B1N folder.
  • TBC15TBC15 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Strange no Fundsmith  :)
  • talexusertalexuser Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBC15 said:
    Strange no Fundsmith  :)
    No, they only recommend outperformers.... like Woodford.
  • TUVOKTUVOK Forumite
    136 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Yes HL's head of investment still promoting Woodford to clients when he was selling out of Woodford, it stinks and a little bit of window dressing by HL will not change that in clients memory.
    I thought when Emma Wall was recruited from Morningstar she might have brought a good revamp, afraid not, the new selection of funds is one very poor selection.

• jamesperrettjamesperrett Forumite
    947 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    TUVOK said:
    the new selection of funds is one very poor selection.

They're still limited by the number of fund managers who will agree to subsidise their discounted fees.