Comments

• ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    hoc said:
    WillPS said:
    newlease said:
    Well this is disappointing. If they want to wind down their banking operation eliminating clubcard bonus is probably next. If they do that I will most definitely switch mine and I may instead get just the credit card.
    If they're winding down the banking operation entirely then the Credit Card is not long for this world either...
    Unlikely. Tesco have been offering lending products like mortgages and credit cards for many years, long before launching the current account product. You don't have to look far for examples of Tesco's portfolio without current account services, the most obvious being their direct competitor Sainsbury's.

Tesco sold their mortgages off to Halifax last year.
    It does seem like they're gradually getting out of the banking sector. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ZeroSum said:
    hoc said:
    WillPS said:
    newlease said:
    Well this is disappointing. If they want to wind down their banking operation eliminating clubcard bonus is probably next. If they do that I will most definitely switch mine and I may instead get just the credit card.
    If they're winding down the banking operation entirely then the Credit Card is not long for this world either... Unlikely. Tesco have been offering lending products like mortgages and credit cards for many years, long before launching the current account product. You don't have to look far for examples of Tesco's portfolio without current account services, the most obvious being their direct competitor Sainsbury's.

Tesco sold their mortgages off to Halifax last year.
    It does seem like they're gradually getting out of the banking sector. 
    Mortgages and Current accounts were both fairly recent additions to their range.
  • block10
    block10 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco bank also includes its Tesco Insurance offering. No sign of its Insurance arm being wound down.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 July 2020 at 9:19PM
    Options
    block10 said:
    Tesco bank also includes its Tesco Insurance offering. No sign of its Insurance arm being wound down.
    Insurance is mostly White Label stuff .
    Mortgages and Current Accounts clearly don't have high enough margins to make them worthwhile.
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 July 2020 at 10:00PM
    Options
    dahj said:
    block10 said:
    Mortgages and Current Accounts clearly don't have high enough margins to make them worthwhile.
    They do partially underwrite some of their own insurance, owning 49.9% of Tesco Underwriting 
    https://www.tescounderwriting.com/
  • quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Better never than late, I got the email from Tesco Today  :(
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ditto i'd been hoping they were going to offer interest to certain customers and i was one of the lucky ones obviously not the case its getting more and more difficult to get any rewards for saving lloyds will be next no doubt. 

i'll leave a certain amount in per month  to pay multiple DD and the rest will be sent over to marcus i can see that being another one that goes before christmas. 
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought mine had arrived today, but it turned out to be about a balance transfer offer on my credit card instead, so I’m still waiting for the current account email  
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    MDMD said:
    dahj said:
    block10 said:
    They do partially underwrite some of their own insurance, owning 49.9% of Tesco Underwriting 
    https://www.tescounderwriting.com/
    So White Label with a few tassels as it's majority (50.1%) owned by Ageas
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've only had the email today, too. Bye bye, Tesco. I will keep a few quid there in case there'll be  a transfer bonus in the future. I can only dream. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback