New Post Advanced Search

Noisy neighbour downstairs

13 replies 1.9K views
sorry if I put this in the wrong sub forum, basically my downstairs’ neighbour likes to watch tv loudly at night when I am trying to sleep. Can I get anything that I can lay on top of the carpet rather than taking the carpet up. Will it work?

Replies

• edited 30 June at 9:18PM
    unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June at 9:18PM
    You get underlay thats better at stopping noise (acoustic dampening). That would require lifting the carpet though. But is the noise just coming through the floor? Or the walls? 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry if I put this in the wrong sub forum, basically my downstairs’ neighbour likes to watch tv loudly at night when I am trying to sleep. Can I get anything that I can lay on top of the carpet rather than taking the carpet up. Will it work?
    How late at night?
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried talking to them? They may be losing their hearing and not realise it, and not realise their TV is that loud. 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • FireflyawayFireflyaway Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with Savvy_Sue. We had a downstairs neighbour who was really loud. Only it wasn't the TV! It was relations of a personal nature should we say!! Very awkward but my husband went and spoke to the guy very calmly and it turned out both he and his partner were deaf. After the chat it didn't happen again!! 
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely go and talk to them. They might have no idea you can hear it. 

I'm always astounded how loud my parents now have the TV when I go and visit. They don't consider themselves old but their hearing is definitely getting worse!!! 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Harrybrown100121Harrybrown100121 Forumite
    44 posts
    10 Posts
    Thanks but we are no longer on speaking terms.
  • sweetsandsweetsand Forumite
    673 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Dear OP
    If you lay something under the carpet, do your research on the net first and just don't take the words of the sales persons.
    Then factor in laying that if DIY or fitter costs. Don't forget the door may need to be trimmed as well.

If its just the bedroom by the best item you can as this will be worth it if you cut out their noise and sleep in peace.

Good luck and you are not alone.
    If you are nice to me then I'll be extra nice to you :)   
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    554 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Comms69 said:
    How late at night?
    That's irrelevant. It's loud and it's disturbing. But the OP hasn't said anything other than trying to cut out the noise. 
    554 posts
    ✭✭
    I would definitely go and have a chat with this neighbour. We had the same problem except the neighbours were upstairs. When we went to see them about the noise, they were mortified to know that we could hear their TV. Turned out the husband was deaf and the wife had got used to having the TV sound on very loud. They were really apologetic and did turn down the volume after that. Hopefully your neighbour is as considerate.
    554 posts
    ✭✭
    Sorry just saw that you're no longer on speaking terms. That's quite sad. But the neighbour DOES still need to be told because that is antisocial behaviour. If it's a rented property you could report to the landlord - or you could report to the council, if it's private. Why should you have to go to the expense of putting something on the floor just because your neighbour is inconsiderate?