Pregnant and concerned about redundancy

New Post Advanced Search

Pregnant and concerned about redundancy

2 replies 113 views
SazzyukrafcSazzyukrafc Forumite
387 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
I’m currently furloughed and have been since April. I’m also 12 weeks pregnant, I told my manager last week and HR yesterday.

My manager has called a team meeting tomorrow and I’m concerned there maybe redundancies announced.

I’m a manager and have two people reporting into me, both of them do the same job. I hired them and before they started I was doing all the tasks they do. My wage is £15k less than both theirs combined. Neither of them would have the skills or experience to do my job yet, as they’re more junior in their careers.

Given my pregnancy and the above, does this give me a good argument not to be made redundant?

I would struggle finding a new job given I’m pregnant. And I also wouldn’t get the maternity pay either.

Replies

• UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m currently furloughed and have been since April. I’m also 12 weeks pregnant, I told my manager last week and HR yesterday.

My manager has called a team meeting tomorrow and I’m concerned there maybe redundancies announced.

I’m a manager and have two people reporting into me, both of them do the same job. I hired them and before they started I was doing all the tasks they do. My wage is £15k less than both theirs combined. Neither of them would have the skills or experience to do my job yet, as they’re more junior in their careers.

Given my pregnancy and the above, does this give me a good argument not to be made redundant?

I would struggle finding a new job given I’m pregnant. And I also wouldn’t get the maternity pay either.
    No! Although in the real world it may make them extra cautious.

Legally it is a position, not a person, that becomes redundant. If the post is genuinely redundant then the post holder can be sent on her way with just the statutory redundancy entitlement, pregnant or not.
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

As above the only protection you really get is that the reason for you redundancy is that you are pregnant. You don’t get a pass although a lot of people seem to think you do. Obviously in the real world employers will be a lot more cautious as they don’t want to fall foul of the law.

It is the position that is made redundant , so if there is going to be redundancies they may decide you only need one person under you or they may decide they no longer need a manager in that area and put the two under you under another manager.