Forum Home» Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving

Directory enquiries company has my personal address listed against my limited company

New Post Advanced Search

Directory enquiries company has my personal address listed against my limited company

8 replies 80 views
Not entirely sure which section to post this in so apologies if its wrong but will try here first.

A directory enquiries company phoned my business and asked if they could update the info they have for my company.  She then proceeded to read out my personal home address which shocked me as we have been a limited company for nearly 10 years in dedicated business premises.  I asked where they got the home address from and she said either companies house or phone directory to which I answered my personal address is hidden on companies house and have been ex-directory at home for ever. 

I asked them to raise a complaint and they have since come back to tell me they obtained the information from a company called Mobius.  I have never heard of them and have had not knowingly had any dealings with them.  I asked the directory enquiries company to find out more info about Mobius and am awaiting a call back.

Does anyone know who this Mobius company might be as I want to take it further if possible?

Replies

• LomastLomast Forumite
    564 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Are you sure your home address is not in companies house if you search for you as director?

• comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your home address is available on Companies House.
  • PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your home address was ever on Companies House, i.e. when you first registered the company, etc., it'll be there forever.  Yes, you can update the company (and your personal addresses) to something different, but that doesn't delete the earlier records.
  • noitsnotmenoitsnotme Forumite
    49 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Lomast said:
    Are you sure your home address is not in companies house if you search for you as director?
    Positive.  The correspondence address under my entry as director is the company address.
    49 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    comeandgo said:
    Your home address is available on Companies House.
    Where? As above, the correspondence address for my director entry is the company address.  I can’t see any publicly accessible reference to my personal address.
  • edited 30 June at 9:59PM
    noitsnotmenoitsnotme Forumite
    49 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 June at 9:59PM
    Pennywise said:
    If your home address was ever on Companies House, i.e. when you first registered the company, etc., it'll be there forever.  Yes, you can update the company (and your personal addresses) to something different, but that doesn't delete the earlier records.
    I guess that’s a possibility.  It was nearly 10 years ago and I can’t remember if the personal address was on there briefly or not.  Although the company was never located at or run in any way from the personal address.  It’s always been completely separate.

Its odd that this is the first time this has ever happened though.  They usually still have the old business address but none of spam callers have ever linked the company with my personal address until now.
  • edited 1 July at 11:42AM
    Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 July at 11:42AM
    Not entirely sure which section to post this in so apologies if its wrong but will try here first.

A directory enquiries company phoned my business and asked if they could update the info they have for my company.  She then proceeded to read out my personal home address which shocked me as we have been a limited company for nearly 10 years in dedicated business premises.  I asked where they got the home address from and she said either companies house or phone directory to which I answered my personal address is hidden on companies house and have been ex-directory at home for ever. 

I asked them to raise a complaint and they have since come back to tell me they obtained the information from a company called Mobius.  I have never heard of them and have had not knowingly had any dealings with them.  I asked the directory enquiries company to find out more info about Mobius and am awaiting a call back.

Does anyone know who this Mobius company might be as I want to take it further if possible?
    Although you have followed this up and are now finding out a lot about your lack of anonymity on the internet and sharing your experience here which is laudiable, you have probably reduced your anonymity significantly by even commenting on the address the cold calling business directory says they have on their data base.  
    You do not have to "confirm" or "update" anything to a cold caller if you do not want to.

49 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Although you have followed this up and are now finding out a lot about your lack of anonymity on the internet and sharing your experience here which is laudiable, you have probably reduced your anonymity significantly by even commenting on the address the cold calling business directory says they have on their data base.  
    You do not have to "confirm" or "update" anything to a cold caller if you do not want to.

I take your point however in raising the complaint with them they removed our business entry entirely from their directory at my request.  To be fair they did take my concerns seriously and have dealt with it professionally so far.  I was passed on to someone who is dealing with my 'case' and she has so far been prompt in calling me back with updates when available.  It is 118 directory enquiries by the way, so a larger organisation with the resources to deal with this rather than some tin pot outfit in the back room of a warehouse somewhere.