Universal Credit- Tenancy Agreement Help

Options
My partner and I are looking into renting via a landlord that accepts housing benefit claimants. Due to bankruptcy, the tenancy agreement will be in my partners name only and I will be a permitted tenant along with my kids from previous relationship. I understand in order for us to claim universal credit we put in a joint claim. Will we be entitled to the housing benefit given the tenancy agreement is in my partners name only? I will obviously be living at the address with him but I will not be liable for the rent. Not sure if this impacts our entitlement to the housing element of universal credit? 

Comments

• MissFlossy222
    Options
    Both of you will have to make a joint claim for UC. Your housing costs will be calculated as a household so it won't matter, in your case, that the agreement is only in your partner's name.
  • pottski
    pottski Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Both of you will have to make a joint claim for UC. Your housing costs will be calculated as a household so it won't matter, in your case, that the agreement is only in your partner's name.
    Thanks for your response, really appreciate it. This info below has left me uneasy though as it suggests I will not be eligible to claim universal credit Housing costs. Or is this irrelevant as we will be making a joint claim?
    http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-0759/Joint_Tenancies_v4.0.pdf

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback