New Post Advanced Search

Is My Company Breaking the Law?

6 replies 360 views
hello500hello500 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, I work for Virgin Atlantic/Holidays. I have been made redundant, along with many others. We have been on Furlough (80%) since April and have now been informed that our redundancy notice period from July 1st will be on Furlough (This will be the first month of 100% pay) and we have just found out that our Annual Leave that was rostered during Furlough and any outstanding will not be paid and was supposedly taken during Furlough, even though in that time the company paid us absolutely nothing, as we just received our 80% government Furlough pay. This makes no sense to me so please could you help? 

Replies

• sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ask them to show you where it was rostered, when you were told this and where the pay for this is.
  • Sarah2708Sarah2708 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ACAS informed that in line with employment law, any leave needs to be paid at 100%! ...Maybe go to the press?!
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarah2708 said:
    ACAS informed that in line with employment law, any leave needs to be paid at 100%! ...Maybe go to the press?!
    Yes but the firm can require the OP to taken any outstanding holiday during the notice period which is, as I read it, to be paid at 100%.
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hello500 said:
     and we have just found out that our Annual Leave that was rostered during Furlough and any outstanding will not be paid and was supposedly taken during Furlough, even though in that time the company paid us absolutely nothing, as we just received our 80% government Furlough pay.
    I read that they have previously been made to use holidays without being told and paid extra for it. Although it could have just been badly worded.
  • hello500hello500 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well, they’ve now basically told us that they need our holiday pay to help keep the company going and they understand they aren’t following company guidelines but that it is what it is. 
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tough that is not your problem especially as they are making you redundant. Tell them you expect to see the holiday pay in your redundancy package.