New Post Advanced Search

New roof advice

9 replies 192 views
I live in a small terraced property which has slate roofing. I need it replaced, however would prefer to have a grey flat Marley tile placed instead. Not only is it cheaper but I genuinely prefer the style. Problem is that these tiles are thicker than slate and therefore there will be height difference on both sides. Can this be done? Or is there an increased chance of leakage?

Replies

• ElephantBoy57ElephantBoy57 Forumite
    799 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Houses close to where I live that have replaced their tiles, have a separator line between theirs and their neighbours.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bigger question is, can your roof take the weight of the concrete tiles? I'd get a few reputable, local roofing companies around to not only give you a quote but to advise the the best way forward. Why not try and reuse as much as the slate as possible to keep the cost down. How old is the roof and why do you think it needs replacing?
  • stuart45stuart45 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    It can be done using a bonding gutter, but as above I think I would be keeping to a natural slate roof reusing as many as possible. Often it's nail sickness and not the slates that's the main problem.
  • edited 30 June 2020 at 12:45PM
    neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2020 at 12:45PM
    Houses close to where I live that have replaced their tiles, have a separator line between theirs and their neighbours.
    Actually thinking about it my neighbour's opposite have concrete tiles on one side and slates on the other of their semi detached properties and there's nothing separating the two roofs. I'd take a picture but they're both in and it might look a bit suspicious of me 😃
  • ChrisA1993ChrisA1993 Forumite
    27 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    My slate roof is probably over 100 years old. I have had multiple leaks. One at the front bay window, 2 or 3 from around the chimney, one from the very top the roof.  A lot of the tiles are cracked but I agree 50% or more are reusable. I think the main problem is from nails and lining underneath tiles which if 100 years old are probably not serviceable anymore. The things is slate is obviously more expensive but I generally am not a fan of its appearance. If I could get a flat Marley style dark tile I think it would look better. I have had 3 roofers out all of whom are on trusted trader/ check a trade etc with 5 out of 5 stars. 2 seemed to be in agreement with the idea of placing a darker tile and they never said anything about my roof struggling to hold the weight? The third said that he wouldn't do tiles as it wouldn't flush with the other properties either side and therefore there is a higher chance of leaks..he then quote 10-12K for doing it in slate. My house is a small one bed bungalow. I thought that was quite expensive. Honestly not sure what to do. The guy I am thinking about quote £5000 for concrete tile and would give me 15 year guarantee?
  • edited 30 June 2020 at 2:59PM
    neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2020 at 2:59PM
    Sounds like your leaks are more to do with your ridge tiles and flashing around the chimney than the slates themselves. Apart from the cracked slates, there's no reason why a 100 year old slate roof can't last another 100 years with maintenance, it'll be the copper fixings that perish rather than the slate tiles themselves. Also, if it is indeed a 100 year old roof I doubt there'll be any roof felt under the slate. I would get a survey done first to see if your roof can support concrete tiles.
    27 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Yeah, my ridge isn't in best condition. When you go into loft you can see daylight in many places where ridge meant to sit. Multiple slates are cracked and I do think the problem lies with rusted nails etc. In terms of weight, the roofers have said that this wouldn't be a problem as there are about 3 slates for one tile say so the weight balance would be pretty equal. I have asked another roofer who has just been and he says there is no problem with getting tiles instead as guttering can be done at both sides to match up with other houses. Only problem is they all seem to have a 2 month waiting list and I am worried to leave it that long.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're half decent then you'll just have to wait I'm afraid, I would be very wary of any tradesman who would take on such a substantial job straight away.
    27 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Yeah, that's what I thought. The ones I have had have got at least a months waiting list which I guess is a good thing. Ideally if I could have done repairs and saved myself some money I would have but I have already spent £800 on repairs and now I have further leaks from different places which would prob cost bearer £1000 to patch up. I then think if it gets close to winter and another few tiles fall away (which they seem to be doing as the nail have rusted) I will probably pay another couple of hundred and then maybe again next year and so on so thinking best to have full new roof and then not worry about it.
    Another question I have since all the replies have been so good is how many years guarantee should roofing companies give? And also I asked one of the roofers if they could do temp repairs to stop the water coming in from the worst part if I had to wait 2 months on them and they said no as he isn't think he would be able to do a good patch up without ripping up a large part of the roof which he didn't have any time to do at the moment? Is this normal. I have had 4 quotes so don't know if I should get more?