Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

builder saying windows & rooflights we supply wont be covered by their insurance

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

builder saying windows & rooflights we supply wont be covered by their insurance

5 replies 311 views
Hi 
We got a quote for extension which included a new side window and rooflights which we originally accepted.Upon the build progressing  we had expressed to the builder that we wanted to make some changes to the costing for the rooflights (from fixed to electric) and the side window (from pvc to aluminium) and the prices they could provide .I also asked around for other prices as well and found some cheaper from other suppliers . The side window would be fitted by the supplier and expected the builder  to supply a fitting fee for the roof lights . We have been told that this is fine but these items won't be covered by the builders insurance .
Is this correct as I don't see how the rooflights especially can't be included as they will be fitting them.For the window I expect the workmanship to be covered by the window fitters insurance but the surround work covered by the builder 
Can anyone provide some guidance or direct me on where to ask.
Thanks.

Replies

• TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are they saying they won't cover the items in the event of any faults developing with the windows and rooflight, or are they saying they won't guarantee that they are waterproof once installed?  As they haven't been involved in the purchase it doesn't seem unreasonable that they won't accept any responsibility if the products are substandard.  I would still expect them to ensure they were properly fitted, but possibly provide a much shortened period of cover for their installation.
  • JakgJakg Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 said:
    Are they saying they won't cover the items in the event of any faults developing with the windows and rooflight, or are they saying they won't guarantee that they are waterproof once installed?  As they haven't been involved in the purchase it doesn't seem unreasonable that they won't accept any responsibility if the products are substandard.  I would still expect them to ensure they were properly fitted, but possibly provide a much shortened period of cover for their installation.
    The problem will be - what if the supplier says installation fault, but the installer says product defect.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's where an independant 3rd party would be required to determine where the fault actually is.  That would depend on all parties agreeing to abide by that 3rd party decision.....  Another reason it's much better to specify what you want, or go with the contractor to select the items and have their approval from the outset.
    It's human nature to try to lay the blame elsewhere if possible.
  • Mutton_GeoffMutton_Geoff Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    And at the end of the day, if the builder is half decent, the window fitter capable and the hardware of reasonable quality, nothing is going to fail that would ever need a warranty claim to sort out.
    Signature on loan to someone else