Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Paypal Credit Balance Unable to Withdraw - The I.D. thing...

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Paypal Credit Balance Unable to Withdraw - The I.D. thing...

6 replies 141 views
Hello, I have tried numerous searches to find the information I need, but after 2 hours of looking, I've decided to raise it as a new thread.
Currently I have a credit balance on my Paypal account which I am unable to withdraw. Paypal reqested a variety of forms of I.D.I have provided them with bank statement, government letter, birth certificate. Based on my research, this should be enough to lift the restriction on my cleared funds. I appear to be getting the hard turnback as I do not have any photo I.D. I don't drive, or, go abroad for medical reasons, therefore have no driving license or passport.
Today I submitted a Subject Access Request to Paypal for my personal data, how they obtained it, and, how they use it, based on some advice found online. I'm waiting to see the result of this, but not holding my breath. It would appear Paypal are imposing U.S. Federal Laws on U.K. Paypal accounts. I know, that's not legal in the U.K.
Have any forum members experienced this hurdle, and found a solution?
If there is already a thread covering this, please post below,
Many thanks
Phil

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not legal?   They could ask for a blood sample if they wish.  You have a choice to say no and stop using them.

I had a similar issue with Revolut, they keep spamming me asking for Photo ID. Well I dont have any. They say
    no problem send us a copy of your passport.  I rely No Photo ID.  No problem send us a copy of your citizen
    card. I reply.. No idea what a Citizen card is. I have No Photo ID. 

The messages for Photo ID got relentless so I tried to cancel the account. It would not let me do that either.
    Tried to scramble my password and that also failed.

Maybe just predicting whats coming next regarding security changes and online banking?

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• fenwick458fenwick458 Forumite
    458 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    can you not spend it on anything? I don't think they have asked me a load of documents to prove my ID, something seems odd??
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Do PayPal only ask in certain circumstances? I’ve never been asked for ID. 
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    can you not spend it on anything? I don't think they have asked me a load of documents to prove my ID, something seems odd??
    MarkN88 said:
    I've had to ID myself 3 or 4 times now in the past 20+ years, they have thresholds for security which trigger every now and then. It catches a lot of people out especially where the account name and bank account don't match. My Main paypal account is fine, exact same name on everything, but on my micro I used a shortened version , ie Lin instead of Linda and did have to jump through a few more hoops.

They need to make sure that the person operating the paypal and associated bank account are the same, otherwise financial institutions get into all sorts of money laundering issues. 

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    soolin said:
    MarkN88 said:
    I've had to ID myself 3 or 4 times now in the past 20+ years, they have thresholds for security which trigger every now and then. It catches a lot of people out especially where the account name and bank account don't match. My Main paypal account is fine, exact same name on everything, but on my micro I used a shortened version , ie Lin instead of Linda and did have to jump through a few more hoops.

They need to make sure that the person operating the paypal and associated bank account are the same, otherwise financial institutions get into all sorts of money laundering issues. 

Thanks for that. I’ve only used PayPal since 2017 and do more buying than selling. 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Paypal and Ebay accounts also use different names  eg Tony and Anthony. Never had any issues.

But I have had both accounts almost since ebay hit the UK. Where it was more trusting and people would
    send bank transfers and even cash before Paypal rolled out here.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...