4 replies 42 views
Paully28Paully28 Forumite
280 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 29 June 2020 at 6:31PM in Techie Stuff
Hi, 
Thanks in advance. 
I used to use MS project and found it perfect for basic timeline charts. Is there anything similar for timeline management that does a similar job, but would ideally be free, as looking at MS project it is quite expensive. 
I just want to be able to add information to the project such as start/finish dates and have an automotic timeline added as MS Project does. I am not sure how to use forumlas in excel for instance, and Project, as far as I can remember was perfect as you just added a task name, date, and it auto added a timeline, and then you could format the timeline as and when needed. 
Thanks Paul

Replies

• mksysbmksysb Forumite
    342 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Paully28 said:
    Hi, 
    Thanks in advance. 
    I used to use MS project and found it perfect for basic timeline charts. Is there anything similar for timeline management that does a similar job, but would ideally be free, as looking at MS project it is quite expensive. 
    I just want to be able to add information to the project such as start/finish dates and have an automotic timeline added as MS Project does. I am not sure how to use forumlas in excel for instance, and Project, as far as I can remember was perfect as you just added a task name, date, and it auto added a timeline, and then you could format the timeline as and when needed. 
    Thanks Paul
    How about this.  

https://www.projectlibre.com/product/projectlibre-open-source

• Paully28Paully28 Forumite
    280 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks, I will have a look at projectlibre. 
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I downloaded it and had a go ... it's got a similar feel to Project 2007.
  • HeedtheadviceHeedtheadvice Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the above meets your need, go for it.
    If not and you have Excel then it is very easy to enter data in three columns, task, start date, end date and then just use the inbuilt chart facility. If you have duration rather than start or end dates it is a very simple built in formula to calculate the other.