Do I need a new credit card?

Options
Hi, I've recently started thinking about buying my first home possibly in the next 6 months so checked my credit score. It's all quite good - no missed payment or anything like that - the main improvement would be to increase available credit.
My current limit with my card is <2k. I contacted my credit card company, provided new salary info and they've refused to up it for business reasons. I earn a decent amount, pay off in full and use less than 25% of the limit each month.
I'm looking for advice on whether it would be worth getting another card with higher limit even though this temporarily affects your score or to just hold off until I actually need a new card and get a mortgage?
Thanks for any help with this!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Having three or four cards is normally a good idea. 

Try an eligibility check and make a couple of applications.
  • Malkytheheed
    Malkytheheed Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are thinking of applying for a mortgage (first mortgage) in the near future I certainly wouldn't be going about applying for credit cards. It could just raise little flags with the mortgage provider. Wait until your mortgage is sorted. The average number of credit cards for an adult in the UK is 1.7. That is to say most people have either 1 or 2 credit cards. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback