Can I renew my car insurance with 0 speeding convictions, before sending back a NIP for speeding?

Options
Hi there, this is my first post on this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out:

I have recently received a Notice of Intended Prosecution &  a Section 172 notice for speeding on a dual carriageway on Friday 19th June. Unfortunately, I am unable to attend a speeding awareness course as I did so 2 years ago, so I will inevitably receive 3 points on my license and the £100 fine.

However, my car insurance is up for renewal on the 31st July and understandably, there is a significant price difference in my premium when declaring the speeding offence. So I was wondering if I renewed my car insurance now by paying annually and not declaring the points on my license and then sending back the NIP & Section 172 at a later date to confirm it was in fact myself driving the car (I was borrowing my mums at the time) whether my insurers would still charge a fee and increase my premium after I have already paid. 

I read on a separate article dated to 2009, an individual who worked for an insurance company stated that 'if the insurers do not ask for any pending convictions, you do not have to declare them at that time. However, when they are processed and you have made your insurers aware, it will affect the following years premium if you go to renew with them.' Does this still stand in 2020?

I understand that what I am suggesting is incredibly cheeky, but I was wondering if there was anyone who has experienced something similar, or if anyone could offer advice on whether or not this is possible.

To confirm, I fully understand that I have broken the law and that it can't go unpunished. But ideally, I don't want to be paying out any further fines/ charges through the likes of insurance companies. I am aware of the dangers of speeding and always try my best to not do so, driving carefully with consideration for all road users. But just like the other thousands who have been caught (and I'm sure a few people reading this), I have been unlucky on this occasion.

I appreciate any feedback, thank you.

Comments

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You say all the right things, but it seems that the speed awareness course didn't work very well.
    In answer to your question, it depends on exactly how your insurer asks the question about convictions and pending convictions

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 June 2020 at 12:57PM
    Options
    The only person that can answer your question is the insurer - actual or prospective.  You will need to answer all questions fully and honestly and comply with any terms and conditions of the policy with regard to informing them of things in term.  That may allow you to not declare it when taking out the premium but you then may have to when it becomes formal.

Personally, I'd be telling an insurer up-front at the quote stage.  Yes, you may find your premium rises but that's better than going for the cheapest quote as it applies today (pre-points) and then finding out they will jack up your premium mid-term, with a possible admin fee to boot.  You're a captive at that stage.

And I wouldn't consider yourself unlucky.  You've had your friendly warning.  It didn't work.  Nothing unlucky about it.
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read your policy Terms & Conditions. You will see there whether you need to inform them only on renewal or between times. You will also see whether you need to inform them of actual convictions/fixed penalties or pending ones as well. Just on a point of pedantry, you do not send back the NIP; you only complete and return the S172 request. When you send it back is immaterial. You know about the matter now and if you are required to inform them of impending matters you must do so. Are you sure your speed was low enough to qualify for a fixed penalty?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Read your policy Terms & Conditions. You will see there whether you need to inform them only on renewal or between times. You will also see whether you need to inform them of actual convictions/fixed penalties or pending ones as well. Just on a point of pedantry, you do not send back the NIP; you only complete and return the S172 request. When you send it back is immaterial. You know about the matter now and if you are required to inform them of impending matters you must do so. Are you sure your speed was low enough to qualify for a fixed penalty?
    Not to the police!

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Generally the increase in premium for the first 3 points is not very much. 
  • MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 June 2020 at 3:29PM
    Options
     I am aware of the dangers of speeding and always try my best to not do so, driving carefully with consideration for all road users. But just like the other thousands who have been caught (and I'm sure a few people reading this), I have been unlucky on this occasion.
    Clearly you don't given you've been caught more times in two years than I've been caught in 33 with 25 years of those doing 400+ miles a day all over the UK often in areas I've never been to before or haven't been to in years or even decades. No such thing as "being unlucky" when it comes to being caught for speeding. The whole keeping under the limit business aside if you'd actually been observant and paying attention to what was around you all the signs that there was something there to detect your speeding were there to be seen. The days of a copper standing behind a tree with a speed gun and suddenly jumping out are long gone.
    You might want to start paying a bit more attention to your driving and what is going on around you than just staring into space and only looking as far as the end of your bonnet.
    Only three types of people get caught for speeding:
    1) The unobservant
    2) Idiots who don't understand what the word average means
    3) Those who simply just don't care whether they do or not because half of the time they don't have a licence or are happy to drive without a licence or insurance, or they're not from the UK and know the police won't bother chasing them back home.

• TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not to the police!

No of course not! 28 days from the date of service. I was more addressing the idea of the OP that if he delays responding until after renewing his policy that will somehow be OK. It's not when he responds to the police that counts but what he knows when he renews - and he knows he has a matter pending.
  • Talc1234
    Talc1234 Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July 2020 at 12:08AM
    Options
    You need to inform your insurance company. You risk invalidating your policy if you don't 
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 July 2020 at 8:53AM
    Options
    giraffe69 said:
    Generally the increase in premium for the first 3 points is not very much. 
    This is what I'd heard - a colleague told me that his speeding conviction made no difference to his premium.  Speeding essentially goes unpunished.   I'm seriously reconsidering my approach to driving.  Almost everyone regularly breaks the limit, the chances of getting caught are minimal and the punishments are pathetic - not sure why I stick to the limits, with my legally spaced number plate and mobile phone out of reach.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm seriously reconsidering my approach to driving.  Almost everyone regularly breaks the limit, the chances of getting caught are minimal and the punishments are pathetic - not sure why I stick to the limits, with my legally spaced number plate and mobile phone out of reach.
    Welcome to "Me,Me, Me!" :)

I am starting to think the same, not about speeding, but about parking. Whey should I continue to be the idiot who parks correctly, when everyone else seems to park on the pavement as close as they can get to their destination, leaving just enough clearance to open their door, which they invariably open when any pedestrian is trying to squeeze past?

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback