New Post Advanced Search

December 2020 Wedding Uncertainty

3 replies 164 views
Hello All, 
I am due to get married this December. I am seeking some advice with regards to whether to go ahead or not. 
A few months back I reached out to our venue to ask if they are reviewing the contract Terms and conditions, with considering to the virus. I was advised that they are in limbo and have plenty of brides from August through to December waiting to see what will happen. We have to date only paid a deposit to secure the date, and my concern is around their contingency plans with regards to social distancing etc., I along with my immediate family members (mother, father, brother and nephew) would be classed as high risk. I am extremely uneasy with continuing to go ahead with my original wedding plans. The reduction of numbers is not so much an issue, but I cannot guarantee peoples safety and no one can until there is a vaccine available. I would at this stage much rather cancel my wedding and for my fiance and I  do just have a legal service on our own. My vendor has not been great at engaging in communications just saying that they are at limbo until the return to work. I can appreciate the strain the industry has been under since March however, a wedding is a huge financial commitment on our part and having reviewed the terms and conditions of the contract I feel that it is no longer fit for purpose. It reads that we will be held liable if government regulations force venue to close or has an impact on our numbers. The contract reads that any changes due to regulations we will need to pay for the min agreed number of guests on the contract (100) as it stands 100 guests includes vendor. Who could have foreseen a pandemic that could potentially harm me and my guests. As it stands now we are responsible for 80% of fees if we cancel, despite trying to engage with vendor at the start of all this. I would like to know if anyone else has had issues communicating with their vendor and are considering cancelling their contract all together? Where did you stand legally? Did you get your vendor review their Terms and conditions to include clauses relating to the virus? Did you and your vendor come up with an alternative or goodwill? Or are people being forced to postpone until 2021 which has no guarantee of a vaccine. Would love to hear others experiences. Many thanks in advance 


Replies

  • stekellstekell Forumite
    4 posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi
    We are in a very similar position to yourself only are wedding is September 11th. We are actually getting married in a church which can obviously still go ahead with limited number of guest and the restrictions set in place. We were in contact with the hotel last week after the announcement that receptions and party's cant take place. They would not cancel yet and wanted to leave it a few weeks to see if any restrictions get lifted. In are head this is already cancelled the venue offered us to move it to a date next year but we refused as we have already delayed from June to September and with no guarantee that anything will be any better next year. Also we are both mid 30's and would like to start a family but want to be married first so with body clocks ticking we really don't want to delay. Regarding the finance we have paid £1000 of the £6000 due to the venue which not expecting the 1k back however the contract does say we need to pay 90% if we cancel in the two months before wedding but we have no intention of paying that even if we cancel as you say we too guest safety has to come first.  We have also paid deposits to suppliers which if we don't use them are willing to write off the deposits but even with a small church wedding we are still considering using the wedding cars, photographer and flowers.
  • Innismacca1234Innismacca1234 Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    Many thanks for sharing your experience.

    Postponing isn't an option for us, I was only going ahead with the wedding reception as one last big family get together, plus, like you I am wanting to start a family soon as (late 30s). I am willing for forfeit the deposit, and we have decided if we do cancel we will keep the photographer at very least to get some family photographs.

    Our vendor will be reopened this week, so I am hoping that means we will be able to discuss our concerns with them properly now. 

    I wish you the best with your upcoming church wedding - 

    Take good care, 

  • AndyCoutureMariaAndyCoutureMaria Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello All, 
    I am due to get married this December. I am seeking some advice with regards to whether to go ahead or not. 
    A few months back I reached out to our venue to ask if they are reviewing the contract Terms and conditions, with considering to the virus. I was advised that they are in limbo and have plenty of brides from August through to December waiting to see what will happen. We have to date only paid a deposit to secure the date, and my concern is around their contingency plans with regards to social distancing etc., I along with my immediate family members (mother, father, brother and nephew) would be classed as high risk. I am extremely uneasy with continuing to go ahead with my original wedding plans. The reduction of numbers is not so much an issue, but I cannot guarantee peoples safety and no one can until there is a vaccine available. I would at this stage much rather cancel my wedding and for my fiance and I  do just have a legal service on our own. My vendor has not been great at engaging in communications just saying that they are at limbo until the return to work. I can appreciate the strain the industry has been under since March however, a wedding is a huge financial commitment on our part and having reviewed the terms and conditions of the contract I feel that it is no longer fit for purpose. It reads that we will be held liable if government regulations force venue to close or has an impact on our numbers. The contract reads that any changes due to regulations we will need to pay for the min agreed number of guests on the contract (100) as it stands 100 guests includes vendor. Who could have foreseen a pandemic that could potentially harm me and my guests. As it stands now we are responsible for 80% of fees if we cancel, despite trying to engage with vendor at the start of all this. I would like to know if anyone else has had issues communicating with their vendor and are considering cancelling their contract all together? Where did you stand legally? Did you get your vendor review their Terms and conditions to include clauses relating to the virus? Did you and your vendor come up with an alternative or goodwill? Or are people being forced to postpone until 2021 which has no guarantee of a vaccine. Would love to hear others experiences. Many thanks in advance 


    You have to take an extremely suitable decision. You can have your big day celebrated on your anniversary at the same destination. Health comes first in every phase of life. Take care of yourself and your beloved ones. Here you have two options one is to get married with only your parents around you and have received on your first anniversary and the second option is to postpone your wedding date. Best of luck for your big day.


    Audrey is a Professional Wedding and Events Planner with a strong experience of 8 years in the professional field.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support