New Post Advanced Search

Senior Railcard

5 replies 374 views
Does anyone know if Senior railcards are being extended please? I bought mine at beginning of March and haven’t been able to use it ..... I’m hoping it will Be extended by at least three months
thanks 

Replies

• edited 27 June at 3:11PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 June at 3:11PM
    kriti said:
    Does anyone know if Senior railcards are being extended please? I bought mine at beginning of March and haven’t been able to use it ..... I’m hoping it will Be extended by at least three months
    thanks 
    In the Senior Railcard site. Under Frequently Asked Questions:

https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/refunds-replacements/

I haven’t been able to use my Railcard due to COVID-19, can I claim a refund or extension?

A:

We’re sorry that we haven’t been able to provide a further update on any possible changes to Railcard conditions.

These are exceptional times and we are working together with train companies on a number of ways to assist Railcard holders. Railcards are not normally refundable as the cost of a Railcard can often be covered by the 33% saving; they offer in a single journey.

Please be assured that as soon as we have any further information, we will provide an update.

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • spenderdavespenderdave Forumite
    532 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if they do some sort of compensation. Unfortunately it is not clear cut as the advice is currently to only use trains for essential journeys. Our trains have been running a near normal service right through lockdown and I could have used them (and did for one hospital appointment). Now with the trains still effectively deserted I admit to having used them for some leisure trips recently. My 3 year senior railcard runs until September next year and has already been heavily used so asking for compensation might be a bit cheeky. An extra three months when I renew it next year though would be nice...
  • fnewboyfnewboy Forumite
    8 posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Similarly, I can't get any details from the website. My senior railcard, for a year, is valid until tomorrow - July 6th 2020. Maybe I'll get a reminder from them, but I'm not holding my breath. I used it 16 times, the last time being on March 12th, then 'lockdown' occurred, which for a vulnerable person - has only just been vaguely relaxed. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • JohnTjohnJohnTjohn Forumite
    1 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I ordered two senior cards by mistake I have been trying to get one card stopped and refunded by phone and email but no response after 5 days.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    503 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    They should give refunds, after all, we are not living in normal circumstances. I nearly bought one last December and I'm so glad I didn't. It's not fair if people can't use them because of a global pandemic.