Removing bed bugs with heat

Has anyone removed bed bugs with heat? I'm looking to buy  a heater or rent one to do this as I hear they are killed at high temperatures.

Thanks

Comments

• t8769 said:
    Has anyone removed bed bugs with heat? I'm looking to buy  a heater or rent one to do this as I hear they are killed at high temperatures.
    Does that kill the eggs too, how long are you hoping it takes?

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You'd be better off buying a steamer instead and using that on your mattress.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I agree with the steamer.
    Theres also a flea bomb thing the pet shop sells. My son got one for his house when he moved in due to a flea infestation from the cats. Although I was upset to see it also killed the spiders.
  • clive0510
    clive0510 Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think I saw a program on the telly once where there was a infestation of bed bugs, and the department of the enviroment sent a team round  with equipment and they sorted it for no charge. so might be worth asking your local council first.
    531063 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Would a couple of sulphur candles work
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    What are you trying to heat?  In most domestic settings, short of burning the house down, there is no way you will get everything up to a sufficient temperature to kill an infestation of bed bugs.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Google suggests it is a valid way of getting rid of them without using chemicals.

However, it would appear you have to heat the whole house/room to 50C/120F for a minimum of 1 hour. And that's the entire structure and contents, not just the room air temperature.

I don't think it's quite as simple as buying a heater, plugging it in and leaving it. 
  • t8769
    t8769 Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the info - useful.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In Yemen at above 40 celsius bedbugs thrive- believe me I was that soldier!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • When I worked in a tropical country, with daily temperatures of 30c, then bagging everything up and leaving it out in the sunshine for a day or two would 'probably' deal with bed bugs.  In this country?  Not a chance you'll get a temperature up high enough for long enough to do the damage.  

Despite the name, you can find BB in many things, so a combination of chemical treatment and steaming for large items such as mattresses, carpets and soft furnishings in the affected house (not just the one room you may have seen them in - they spread!), done weekly or bi-weekly along with washing everything else possible in the washing machine at highest temperature possible will help.  Then keep an eye out for reinfection.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback