Student Loan Full Balance

Hi,

I attended uni in September-November 2007 before withdrawing from my course. I believed that I had paid what I needed to including paying the uni for the tuition fee. However, last October HMRC Sent me a ‘revised tax’ letter and added £1200 Owing to SLC to my self assessment statement. I paid £1,100 of this and on my SLC balance it says I owe £100.00. 
I have just had another ‘revised tax’ letter from HMRC added on to a different tax year stating that I owe another £1500.00 in Student Loans - despite my balance on SLC being £100.00.
What I’d like to know is if (apart from tuition fees) the balance showing on the SLC company includes ALL maintenance loans? I have no idea where this extra £1500 has come from and it worries me that they will keep revising my tax self assessment! 
Hope someone can help with this.
many thanks,
G.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,765
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    If you have a student loan you pay 9% of earnings over the threshold. This is what hmrc assesses you need to pay until such a time as the student loan company tells hmrc that you no longer need to make repayments. hmrc does not have sight of the balance of your loan. 
    You need to get onto slc and make sure the information they have is correct. If your student loan is paid off, then they need to tell hmrc and your employer to stop repayments. If you have overpaid the repayment will come from slc not hmrc. If you are near the end of clearing your loan, you can opt to pay slc direct and they will instruct your employer to stop deductions.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback