Forum Home» Phones & TV

Cheapest Way To Call UK To Czech Republic & Vice Versa

New Post Advanced Search

Cheapest Way To Call UK To Czech Republic & Vice Versa

6 replies 59 views
woodbine66woodbine66 Forumite
81 posts
Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
I'm going to be living in the Czech Republic for a while. I will need to phone my mother regularly - she's 84. She does go on a bit - don't they all? So I can see this adding up on normal landline and roaming call charges. What are the cheapest ways to phone either way? I'll have a mobile with me in CZ, but could get a landline if need be. Will probably have to get one anyway for my pc. Mum has a landline, but could be persuaded to get a simple mobile if it was necessary to get cheaper calls. Would be good to hear what the options would be.

Replies

• pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone and 3 mobile include roaming from Czech Republic in their call packages.
  • SpankSpank Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Does your mum have a computer? if so you can do free voice (or video of you have cameras) chats over the internet
  • woodbine66woodbine66 Forumite
    81 posts
    Thanks to both of you for your replies.

pphillips>>>   I'll look into those two. Unfortunately I've just signed a new contract with EE, but if Mum was to get a mobile she could sign up with Voda or 3.
    Spank>>> Unfortunately she's not technical at all. Strangely the heating stat doesn't faze her, as it's always tropical in her house. But all other tech is beyond her.
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    EE call packages include roaming in Czech Republic as well.
  • edited 29 June at 9:20PM
    woodbine66woodbine66 Forumite
    81 posts
    edited 29 June at 9:20PM
    pphillips said:
    EE call packages include roaming in Czech Republic as well.

Thanks again. I'm only on a £7 p.m. unlimited calls and texts with EE. Would this still cover roaming in Czech Rep?

EDIT -
    Just had a look at my EE plan. If I'm reading it right, roaming is included in The EU for calls and texts. It says -
    "Calls in UK & when in the EU - this is not shared
    Unlimited minutes"
    and
    "Texts in UK & when in the EU - this is not shared
    Unlimited messages"
    Not sure what the "this is not shared" bit means though.

1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    It means only you can use them, they can't be given to other family members.