Forum Home» Redundancy & Redundancy Planning

National insurance on redundancy pay

New Post Advanced Search

National insurance on redundancy pay

10 replies 291 views
How is national insurance calculated in relation to the amount above £30k? I.E. in relation to the upper and lower weekly limit.

Replies

• daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
  • unkleunkle Forumite
    123 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks, and what about on PILON, other benefits etc? NI is payable, just can't quite work out the rate as it's paid as one lump sum.
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
  • edited 27 June at 10:03AM
    unkleunkle Forumite
    123 posts
    edited 27 June at 10:03AM
    I know it is taxable, but how is it calculated.
    NI Is payable at 12% between £792.01 a month and £4,167 and then 2% above that
    if in the month my pay has already exceeded that figure, do I only pay 2% NI on the PILON (as an example)?
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are getting say 8 weeks notice pay in one lump sump they work out how much national insurance you would normal have paid in that time and deduct that in one go. 
  • unkleunkle Forumite
    123 posts
    sharpe106 said:
    If you are getting say 8 weeks notice pay in one lump sump they work out how much national insurance you would normal have paid in that time and deduct that in one go. 
    Could get messy then if I start a new job, my PILON is 6 months. One assumes therefore if I started a new job it'd take into account NI already paid for those 6 months?
  • nick74nick74 Forumite
    618 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    unkle said:
    sharpe106 said:
    Could get messy then if I start a new job, my PILON is 6 months. One assumes therefore if I started a new job it'd take into account NI already paid for those 6 months?
    No, unlike income tax NI is calculated per employment not cumulatively, and your new employer would have no way of knowing how much NI you'd paid previously in any case. 
  • ffacoffipawbffacoffipawb Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    unkle said:
    sharpe106 said:
    Different employments are treated separately. For example you had 6 jobs each paying £6,000 per annum you would pay no NI at all as each job pays under the lower NI threshold.
    Retired Cymro

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Cymru am Byth 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
  • edited 29 June at 2:17PM
    chrisburchrisbur Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 June at 2:17PM
    unkle said:
    sharpe106 said:
    Different employments are treated separately. For example you had 6 jobs each paying £6,000 per annum you would pay no NI at all as each job pays under the lower NI threshold.
    If you can try to get at least one job where you earn over the Lower Earnings Limit (currently £120 a week £520 a month )  That way you will be treated as having paid NI and you qualify for everything that paying NI gets you.  You will still not actually pay anything until your weekly wage  goes above £183( or monthly equivalent )
  • unkleunkle Forumite
    123 posts
    Seems madness, 6 jobs it is then  :D