New Post Advanced Search

Wedding deposit returned

1 reply 77 views
wedding2020wedding2020 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this situation for me. Me and my partner had a wedding booked for November 2020 and due to Covid 19 were unsure if this would be able to go ahead- we have a large amount of family and friends due to attend. We had a meeting last week with the wedding coordinator who was actually extremely rude and cold towards the entire situation. About 2 weeks ago my partners mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and was put down to have surgery which she had on Wednesday. This has also played into the mix of us not wanting the wedding this year. Even if Boris allows the wedding to take place I doubt they would allow over 250 guests to congregate at the same venue and also it would be unsafe for my mother in law especially during all the treatment she will be having (chemo and radiotherapy). We put a £2000 deposit down on the venue and the total price was going to be £11,000. They have offered us a new date in February but we still feel as though this is too soon. During the meeting we explained everything that had gone on and of course the issues that comes with radio and chemo therapy such as hair loss etc. and how we would rather give it another 12 months from our original date- thee response we got was- "well she can wear a wig cant she, she will just have to get on with the day and wear a wig". Which of course we were completely shocked at. We have since heard that this particular individual is very heartless and when planning something as personal as a wedding I am unsure as to how you can have these mannerisms. She then stated if we wanted the same wedding next Winter it would cost an extra £3000 and we wouldn't get half of the items we would have got this year.

Cut a long story short, do you think there is anyway we could get our deposit back from this company- they own the building and company and I am certain that it is at their discretion. We have sent an email pleading our case as now my partner's job is also at risk so before all of the other issues we now have to find money to fund our family home. I know I am probably plucking at straws because they have offered a new date but I wondered If there was anything we could do to try and retrieve the monies.

Thank you.

Replies

• 74jax74jax Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    wedding2020 said:
    Me and my partner had a wedding booked for November 2020 and due to Covid 19 were unsure if this would be able to go ahead- we have a large amount of family and friends due to attend.

...... This has also played into the mix of us not wanting the wedding this year.
    I doubt they would allow over 250 guests to congregate at the same venue
    We put a £2000 deposit down on the venue and the total price was going to be £11,000. They have offered us a new date in February but we still feel as though this is too soon. 

Cut a long story short, do you think there is anyway we could get our deposit back from this company- 

I wouldn't have thought so, it's your choice not to go ahead or take an alternative.
    Read your contract carefully in thethe deposit section. What does it say?
    I think sending the letter was a good idea, and hopefully you'll get the outcome you want, but if they are offering the service and you don't want it I'm not sure what else they can do.

Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....