Used car help

annabanana82
annabanana82 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Sorry me again. 
After two weeks of waiting the C Max I was looking at has been bought down from Yorkshire by the Ford garage. I've paid a £200 refundable deposit. 
It's a 66 plate 1.5 TDCi circa 20k miles
They went up last week to collect and there was an issue with the battery, new battery fitted Monday or Tuesday this week and supposedly checked to make sure the battery was the problem. No call from them until today when I chased it up. 
On checking the MOT runs out in September and tax ran out November 19. I now haven't got a great feeling about the car. Not sure if it's the battery, lack of contact or just a gut feeling. 
The car is £9k and we've doubled our budget to get something newer so feeling a bit nervous.
I will insist on new MOT and a service if it's not had one since November. 

Any thoughts on this much appreciated 
Thank you 

Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Given the c max is a popular car being in trade (reason why no ved since November 2019) does suggest its either massively over priced or has underlying issues that have put off buyers. 
    452 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    I hope you have it in writing that the deposit is refundable now it's cost them money to get the car for you to view.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Tax runs out when the car is sold as it's no longer transferable.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • annabanana82
    angrycrow said:
    Given the c max is a popular car being in trade (reason why no ved since November 2019) does suggest its either massively over priced or has underlying issues that have put off buyers. 
    That's my gut feeling, the price I'm quite content is correct so there's likely to be something wrong.

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • annabanana82
    452 said:
    I hope you have it in writing that the deposit is refundable now it's cost them money to get the car for you to view.
    Yes, it was made very clear that there was no obligation to buy a d a full refund would be made. 

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • annabanana82
    Tax runs out when the car is sold as it's no longer transferable.
    Yes I'm aware of that, it's that what concerns me that it was sold last November and not needed to be taxed since.

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2020 at 7:47PM
    I traded in my 15 plate C-Max 18th December and it was back out before Christmas. £9K seems about the lower ball park for a 66 TDCi Zetec, surprised that the supposed ticking time bomb 999cc petrol engined models are going for a higher price.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The battery wouldn't concern me, car batteries normally last 3 - 5 years before needing replacement and given it will have been parked up during the Coronavirus period, that probably helped finish it off.

On the MOT, yes it is a bit of a pain to buy it, only to have to MOT it soon after. If it was me, I'd speak to the dealer, point out it will only now have a couple of months MOT and given the current Coronavirus disruption you are concerned there could be issues with getting MOT bookings etc, I'd ask them to MOT it so it comes with a 12 month ticket, so you buy it with a 12 month MOT. It also means they'll have to cover any issues picked up during the MOT.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,515 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    4 years old diesel and just 20,000 miles.  Not one for me.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback