PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor enquiries

Options
We are 3 weeks into our sale and my solicitor estimated last Friday that we have around 4 weeks until the sale might be ready but the buyers solicitor hasnt yet raised any enquiries. Is it possible that they wont raise any or could there be lots of questions on the way that could potentially slow the sale once they receive the searches back?

Comments

• SameOldRoundabout
    Options
    Our buyers solicitors didn’t send through any enquiries until all searches were back. It’s probably better to get it all out the way in one hit than in dribs and drabs. I think they sent through around 15 but it was all easy stuff to answer as the homeowner so didn’t take up any more time in the process. 
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    unlikely they won't raise enquiries.
  • jamielutz1987
    Options
    s4m17 said:
    We are 3 weeks into our sale and my solicitor estimated last Friday that we have around 4 weeks until the sale might be ready but the buyers solicitor hasnt yet raised any enquiries. Is it possible that they wont raise any or could there be lots of questions on the way that could potentially slow the sale once they receive the searches back?
    I guess it differs based on the property and the buyer's attitude. We are in the purchase of buying a house and our conveyancer had just a single query, we had none.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 June 2020 at 11:38PM
    Options
    s4m17 said:
    Is it possible that they wont raise any or could there be lots of questions on the way that could potentially slow the sale once they receive the searches back?
    It's unlikely they'll raise the types of enquiries which take any time to answer - unless there's actually a problem needing sorted.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has your buyer had their mortgage offer through yet. Your sale will be dictated by the speed of the other party. Not that it's within their control by any means. 
  • momo1103
    momo1103 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just bought a property and my solicitors raised around 20 enquiries. Enquiries tend to go back and forth until the buyers solicitors are satisfied. Mine took around 4 weeks in total (and this was in the middle of lockdown where the sellers lawyers had stopped working on the case for about 2 weeks). 
  • s4m17
    s4m17 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Has your buyer had their mortgage offer through yet. Your sale will be dictated by the speed of the other party. Not that it's within their control by any means. 
    Yes they've already had their mortgage offer. They are awaiting searches, as are we for our purchase. Hoping to complete by august but local searches are back logged and our council is slow even when there isn't a delay

Thank you for your replies it's very helpful:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback