Zero Hours

Hi I am new to the forums.

I have been working as Zero Hours for 12 years for a company and when the lockdown started I had to fight for furlough.  I work from home booking work out for them, however I have had  pay for the last 12 years every month.  Now the company has made all the field team that I deal with redundant, and have said they are not sure when they can offer work to me and several others in my position until the virus recedes.  however I know they have told the ones made redundant that as the zero hours staff are mainly over 60 that until a vaccine can be found it may not be good to use us.  However we had a letter yesterday saying they are not obliged to offer us work but will if any comes in.  Therefore they are avoiding making us redundant but wont say that they wont be offering work which I actually know will be the case as they will use online work instead.  What would my position be as I have worked there 12 years and I know they arent going to offer work.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Have you any evidence that this was not a zero hours contract.
    Like did you ever exercise your right to not work or  take holiday when you wanted and were refused?
    if they are not going to provide work you can get work elsewhere.
  • KIWI56
    KIWI56 Posts: 13
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your response.  We were told verbally that if we took holiday we had to make sure that we were covered by deputies.  We were never really given proper contracts but had to have managerial assessments every 2 years
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    That is not zero hours(but not in writing so hard to prove)
    They offer work you decide to do it or not, it would not be your responsibility to provide/organise cover.
    How often was work allocated.
  • KIWI56
    KIWI56 Posts: 13
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I worked every month. I was sent work to book out to other workers. My title was Regional Director. I had work every month. Massive projects came in I would book out and then go out to check jobs were done properly. I trained people to standard and also progress chased jobs. Worked Ng over a large area.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback