Erroneous transfer advice

Options
Hi,
I'm a tenant of three years in a flat and am currently undergoing a second erroneous transfer. My initial energy provider lost my gas to another company 18 months of so ago to Spark energy while my landlord changed estate agents. This was eventually sorted and Tonik regained my gas and electric.

More recently I got notice I was supposedly leaving Tonik again, even though they assured me my MPRN was now up to date on the national database. This time to Scottish Power. Due to this erroneous transfer I have swapped over to Bulb and sent a complaint off to tonik. But my neighbour, who instigated the changeover to Scottish Power, is now receiving bills for an account registered under my MPRN. Obviously I am a complete stranger to Scottish Power and have only ever held contracts with Tonik and Bulb. I am awaiting a response from my complaint along with any answer to the lost credit I accrued with Tonik to establish any final bills. 

Do I need to get in touch with Scottish Power to settle this? I feel like ringing them is accepting liability and, from what I've read briefly, the person in the middle of the erroneous transfer doesn't pay the erroneous energy provider? Any advice?

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check that your meters really are the ones that supply you.  Switch everything off at the meters and make sure you have no gas and no electricity.  Then turn on everything at full blast and make sure the meters are whizzing, flashing or whatever.  Make sure that the numbers on the meters have been appearing on your bills.
    Check who really supplies your gas here, then check your DNO's website to see who supplies your electricity.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback