Storage heaters vs electric radiators

Options
Hi, I live in a small flat (owned) which only has electricity on Economy 7.  I need to replace at least one of the three storage heaters but am wondering if this is the way forward for me.  I am at home quite a lot during the daytime but, obviously, am finding the storage heaters run down by the afternoon.  Is it feasible to have some storage and some elec radiators?  I am looking at Rointe as they are cheaper than replacing storage heaters but am aware they will cost me dear during daytime hours.  An practical advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Read the many, many posts on this forum about Rointe  and other magic dust heaters  !

Practical advice - learn how to use the storage rads.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stick with storage heaters, check if they're under sized if heat not lasting. Magic dust heaters will bankrupt you.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Thousands of posts on E7, learn how to use them Ros. They're almost always smallest cheapest size at installation.

Simply they come in 9-16 brick size. Pick your smallest and replace it with the biggest that fits on the wall. The key1 is the word "storage" you can have a big part full, but you can never "store" more cheaper heat in a little undersized one. Key2 are the knobs marked input and output. I've never used the output ever in 50 years+. Key3 are the counters for cheaper night and expensive day in you leccy meter. I've been 75% cheaper night for decades. Key4 is you control them or they will control you. Put your own meter readings into your online account yourself each and every month.

It's essential for you to register with your existing "deemed supplier when you first move into the property or you will be put on their default expensive tariff, photograph the meter counters and the meter itself immediately, get on their cheapest tariffs, then hit 4 comparison sites starting with Which, set them to see ALL tariffs, pick your chosen tariff and supplier, get on their online account. Best of luck.

Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Check out the link that Richie put up and then just change the name to Rointe (Magic Oil is no better than Fairy Dust).-  they are no cheaper to run than a £20 heater of the same rating from Argos or B&Q so if you really think that an ordinary heater will do the job then get one from there.

As others have said learn to use your storage heaters properly and if you've got a duff one, get it repaired. There really is only two things to go wrong, either a failed element or a failed thermostat - both of which are easy to fix and a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure