Money Moral Dilemma: Should I take out a new train season ticket loan and invest it?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 23 June 2020 at 4:45PM in Coronavirus support and help
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I usually get the train to work, paid for with an interest-free season-ticket loan from my employer. I'll soon be able to claim a new loan, though due to the pandemic I'm working from home and there's no word yet on when we'll be returning to the office. As I'm used to the repayments being deducted from my salary, I'm thinking of taking out a new loan and using it to buy Premium Bonds or putting it somewhere I can earn interest on it, but I'm worried this might be seen as abusing a work perk.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I assume this is a benefit in kind, and the official rate from 6 April 2020 is 2.25%. If you are a higher rate taxpayer, the cost is 2.25% x 40% = 0.9%. If you are a basic rate taxpayer the cost is 0.45%. The rates vary in Scotland. Whatever investment you make needs to produce an after tax return better than this, and also be able to be cashed in to fund the repayments at the appropriate time, unless you fund this by other means. Your employer will also have to pay class 1A NIC.

You need to check the terms of the loan, which may require you to spend the proceeds on a season ticket. Even if it doesn't, you need to consider what your employer's reaction would be to you doing this if they found out. This answers the moral question as well. If you really think it's worth the bother for the trifling return, ask your employer for permission.

• JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,289 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And what if the employer asks for proof the season ticket has been purchased?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Why not put the monthly payments into premium bonds instead then there's no mmd is there?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given that your employer know you are not commuting for the time being, are they even actually offering the season ticket loan?

Given how low interest rates are at the moment, this seems like a lot of effort for little gain plus the risk that the employer takes a dim view.  In the current climate, no one wants their employer taking a dim view of them.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With interest rates at current levels is it going to earn much interest? 

As has has been said earlier difficult to see employers offering loans for no purpose. Particularly as they'll wish to conserve cash to see them through the challenges ahead. 
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doing this will almost certainly be against the terms and conditions of your employers scheme
  • helene4266
    helene4266 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2020 at 11:56PM
    Options
    Why not put the monthly payments into premium bonds instead then there's no mmd is there?
    If they do this what money will they use to buy a season ticket when work resumes?  Assuming it’s a yearly ticket it has to be paid up for front - which is why companies loan the whole amount to employees as a lump sum to buy the ticket and then deduct from their salary monthly?
  • richbrad72
    Options
    This is almost certainly against the t and cs which will get you into to trouble, and is probably immoral too depending on your stance on businesses as moral entities.

If you are that keen to work the interest gap between a 0% loan and a savings account, it is far better to do so by balance transferring your ordinary monthly spending through credit cards and then shifting it to 0% rate 0% fee BT card... esp. if you use a rewards earning card on the front too.. 
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am a Civil Servant and I can apply for a season ticket loan (which I do every year).
    Once bought I then have a month to show that I have bought the ticket, if I don`t its Gross Misconduct as I have breached the rules of the scheme , and the penalty for such a breach is dismissal.
    You need to check your T&C`s in your staff handbook as the only thing you may win is the dismissal lottery.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback