Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Issue with item, personalised but not the item ordered.

New Post Advanced Search

Issue with item, personalised but not the item ordered.

11 replies 326 views
swingalooswingaloo Forumite
2.4K posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
I recently ordered a case which was described as 'Real Leather'. I had it personalised with a photograph on the front and therefore when ordering agreed with the 'Not returnable' statement. But, Ive received the item and it is not leather, its a cheap plastic finish and therefore not worth the price paid, nor what I ordered.
I am going to reject it but expect them to throw in the 'Its personalised so cant be returned' thing. As it is not a leather item as described do I have grounds for return?

Please ignore, Ive been a  numpty- on further investigation it says real leather in the title but in the 'detail' blurb it says 'real PU leather' so Ive been silly. 

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Was this on eBay, then if so check the item specifics. If by any chance that says leather then you can still win an SNAD . Also with the misleading title I’d still try a claim as it is mis selling. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • swingalooswingaloo Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    soolin said:
    Was this on eBay, then if so check the item specifics. If by any chance that says leather then you can still win an SNAD . Also with the misleading title I’d still try a claim as it is mis selling. 
    Yes it was. Im going to message the seller.  Its advertised as leather but in the item specifics ie size etc (which I admit I didn't read as the size was for a specific model phone) it says PU leather.
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    swingaloo said:
    soolin said:
    Yes it was. Im going to message the seller.  Its advertised as leather but in the item specifics ie size etc (which I admit I didn't read as the size was for a specific model phone) it says PU leather.
    In that case you are unlikely to win a case as item specifics trump everything else. 

However the fact remains that leather is leather and cannot be a man made alternative and that should be noted in the feedback and stars. It might even be an issue to report to eBay, although I find it near impossible to report anything unusual nowadays . 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • edited 24 June at 7:01AM
    theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 June at 7:01AM
    This sort of mis-selling really annoys me.  There is no prefix or suffix applicable to 'leather' offering a man-made version. 

I would still open a case as real leather is not any form of man made fibre.  As the buyer you have nothing to lose in opening the case. 

• fenwick458fenwick458 Forumite
    347 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    soolin said:
    thats right. I once sold a used road bike tyre, but despite me saying on the description that it had been used for 1000km, and showing pictures of a clearly used tyre, the buyer did a SNAD because I had used the "sell one like this" link and not forgotten to change the item condition from new to used! so it appears they had no read the description or looked at the pictures and just assumed that because it said "new" in the item specifics that it was a new tyre...
    well either that or they knew what they were doing!

2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I admit its my mistake that I didn't read it all and I'm usually very careful. I sell on Ebay and am paranoid about my descriptions being accurate. I saw the title Personalised Real Leather Phone Case, went into the item and drop down menu for the phone model and just ordered.  Bear in mind that it was a lot more expensive than others which were not described as real leather.  I have messaged the seller and got back a message saying 'sorry you are not happy with the item please send us an image so we can look at it'. They either haven't read my message properly or don't understand. Its a UK seller who has a feedback of over 3000 of which there are 19 negs but they are all complaints about the quality of the photograph printing.  the item has been removed from their listings now and I expect it will reappear later with the word 'Real' taken out of the title.
    66K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    soolin said:
    thats right. I once sold a used road bike tyre, but despite me saying on the description that it had been used for 1000km, and showing pictures of a clearly used tyre, the buyer did a SNAD because I had used the "sell one like this" link and not forgotten to change the item condition from new to used! so it appears they had no read the description or looked at the pictures and just assumed that because it said "new" in the item specifics that it was a new tyre...
    well either that or they knew what they were doing!

As above the item specifics trump everything- that is what the search metrics pick up on .
    New to Forum? Guide
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the title said "Personalised Real Leather Phone Case" then they cannot later describe it as PU as the title should also say this. The title and description completely contradict each other!

PU is NOT leather whatsoever - it is plastic mounted on fabric that looks like leather, but vegetarian friendly! It should be advertised as "PU Leather effect" but not PU Leather. 

I would be opening a dispute for SNAD and wanting to return it for a full refund. The personalisation is irrelevant as it is not made of leather as per the title. 
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update time- Got a good result with this one. First they refused a return, then agreed to accept a return but  not to pay postage. Told me to put it back in the same envelope and write return to sender so it would cost me nothing to post.   I refused to do that so they then refused to accept a return at all. After messages going back and forth but getting nowhere I said I would not correspond directly anymore and would ask Ebay to step in after the allotted number of days. Heard nothing for 2 days but then today was sent  a pre paid returns label so all is good.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't close the case, not even if they say they cannot refund until you do.