Employment gaps shouldn't matter should they?

Comments

• njm123
    njm123 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    People with savings to live on rather than a pension have had finances devastated by Interest Rate Cuts and Stock Market moves so need more income until the pension kicks in - if it ever does now.   Plus there's the constant nagging for a wealth tax from some pressure groups.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    njm123 said:
    People with savings to live on rather than a pension have had finances devastated by Interest Rate Cuts and Stock Market moves so need more income until the pension kicks in - if it ever does now.   Plus there's the constant nagging for a wealth tax from some pressure groups.
    So they've retired in the same way that anyone who quits work with no employment lines up? (and a hypothetical tax?) ok.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    njm123 said:
    So basically anyone who retired early then needs to go back to work because of Coronvirus is stuffed by the gap that says "Retired early - got it wrong"
    No, I think a gap with an explanation that they took early retirement / voluntary redundancy but found they missed working, or had changes in personal circumstances  would be fine. It's not an unexplained gap, they have an explanation.

Obviously depending on the length of the gap they may be at a disadvantage compared to other applications with more recent experience, but that comes down to who the best fit for the role is. 
    Someone who has been out of the workplace for a while might find their application is helped of they can show some evidence that they have kept their skills current or have done some form of refresher / updating training in the mean time 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • oh_really said:
    What skills do you hold which you feel will improve by not being put to use by frequent periods out the workplace?
    Well it's a good question and I had to google some common skills - 
    • Active listening.
    • Communication.
    • Computer skills.
    • Customer service.
    • Interpersonal skills.
    • Leadership.
    • Management skills.
    • Problem-solving
    1, 2, 5, 6 and 8 might be used and improved in everyday life especially if you have a large household.
    3 you could improve if you took a course
    4 and 7 would probably become rusty in an extended workplace gap.
  • You can apply to another company apparently and they can tell your current employer you’ve applying for ‘multiple jobs’. All a bit sick never mind gaps. I haven’t even been for a job interview but yet someone is running around make these unfounded allegations to the point where I’m fine to find out who they are and ask when I’m starting, as it’s news to me. When I left my last job in December I really feel now I should not have bothered getting back to it, 5 months on, never had the opportunity to go for a job interview I’m so close to a stroke or heart attack. (which will please everyone on here) All faith in man kind lost today. Don’t know about gaps but really if we’re in a time when you can’t apply for a job in a free country and at no obligation, it is sad.
  • k12479
    k12479 Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ...it's not really the employer's business.
    It (indirectly) is though. Depending on the stage of career, industry and level of job, a break could imply a lack of commitment/dedication, a lack of life or career direction or trying to hide an issue that occurred.

Few would bat an eyelid at a year spent, say travelling, before entering the workforce. While a year spent travelling at the age of 32 might be seen positively for someone working in the travel industry, but would likely raise eyebrows for an accountant, consultant or lawyer who's aiming to make partner.
  • 5 months on, never had the opportunity to go for a job interview I‚Äôm so close to a stroke or heart attack. (which will please everyone on here) 
    I'm kind of new around here but it certainly wouldn't please me that a job situation made someone close to a stroke or heart attack. 
    Some people don't work yet do satisfy their basic needs on the Maslow hierarchy, so it would be good if working people could do at least as well, even with employment gaps.
  • AW618
    AW618 Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 23 June 2020 at 7:16AM
    There's two issues with gaps.
    Firstly, an unexplained gap means that everyone will assume the worst happened.  You could have been in prison; you could just be completely unemployable - if there is a reasonable explanation like, from your original post, travelling or bringing up children, it is expected that you will give it.  If you don't give it, then one has to ask why not.

Secondly, a recent and lengthy gap, particularly in a  fast moving field, means your skills will not be up to date.  This is of course not insurmountable, but means you will not be as employable as someone who does have up to date skills.

That's it, really.  It' s not a general "oooohh, gaps are bad", it's a rational and sensible approach on the part of employers to particular issues.  If neither of the above two cases apply to your gaps, then they will not be a problem at all.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you are in the tech field, a 2 year gap can leave your skills out of date; you could do some training to get back into it.
    Someone having gone off to see the world, or whatever, may be less into the mindset of working than someone who is changing jobs; the 9-5 routine may be a struggle to get back into.
    OTOH, they could be fully refreshed ad raring to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback