We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What is this plant taking over my garden

Options
Hi guys please help me identify this plant its taking over my garden, and whats the best way to get rid of it permanently please. Big thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bindweed.
    Glyphosate is your friend.  It can be hard to spray it when it's tangled among other plants.  Push some canes into the soil near the plants and let the bindweed scramble up them.  Hold something behind the canes when you spray the bindweed so you don't kill off other plants or buy a version that you can paint on the leaves.

• Justagardener
    Options
    What ever you do don't pull it out.. unless you want to be organic and pulling it out for the rest of time.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mojisola said:
      Hold something behind the canes when you spray the bindweed so you don't kill off other plants or buy a version that you can paint on the leaves.
    Or, as this is MSE, mix it with a little cheapo wallpaper paste and use a brush from the Pound shop. The gels are expensive.
    I got lots of bindweed through from my charming commercial neighbours last year. After attacking it from both sides, it threw up just 3 small shoots this spring. Now it's gone, but I'm still watching. It's about the only common weed I don't have. If you get in early, it is treatable.

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I dug mine out when I made the new bed , pulled all the clods apart to get the roots out and you'd be surpised how much root can hids in a little clod] and was getting it around the edges. I've been pushing my trowel as far down as it'll go then lifting the bindweed. It's been getting weaker and weaker and the bits growing now are very weak and spindly.
    Wish I could say the same for the horsetail.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback