Victim Of Money Scam - RBS Help

Options
Hi all,

Please could the mods  move this to the appropriate section if needs be?
I purchased an online Training course last week, via a person who was impersonating another company. Once the funds were sent, the person then stop replying to all of my messages etc. On hindsight I should have known better, but  I guess you live and learn.
I spoke to the CEO of the real actual company, and they also confirmed my suspicions, that someone was actually pretending to be them under false pretences.
The purchases were made via my paypal account ( as goods purchases with additional fees) linked to my RBS account, and I have since informed paypal to open a dispute.

I contacted the RBS Fraud team also, as the funds are still in my account and have not been taken as of yet. However, they informed me that they were unable to cancel the transaction, the funds would have to be taken first, then I would need to complete a claims form to report it and it could take up to 45 days investigate.
Is this the norm? I just assumed that they would have been able to take immediate action can cancel the purchase?

Can anyone advise me if there is anything else I can or should do at this stage or do I have to more a less follow the guidelines from the bank?

Thanks for any input....much appreciated.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd have thought that it's solely PayPal's responsibility to sort this out, rather than RBS, who will simply be honouring a legitimate authorised request to send funds to PayPal for you, so I can't see how they'd have any liability for what happens to that money thereafter?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you haven't yet done so, you should report this to ActionFraud, too.
  • harsh_but_fair
    Options
    Yes eskbanker is right your claim is via the PayPal protection scheme which to be fair should refund you fairly promptly if what you say in your post is correct

There is no point going to your bank
  • Mike313
    Mike313 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response Guys. Fingers crossed I should be able to claim my money back via paypal. I just assumed I would need to alert the bank as the paypal transaction went through my bank account.

I wasn't aware of the Action Fraud site either. I will look into that now. Thanks again :smile:
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How is the paypal account linked to your RBS account.
    Debit card or DD?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Mike313
    Mike313 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, just via Debit card/ Bank Ac. Usually when I check out with PP, it asked me if I would like to pay via bank ac. or debit card.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback