Can I sow out of season seeds now?

DD265DD265 Forumite
2.2K Posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
I want an Oregano plant but I can't find one, however I do have some seeds. Whilst it's not the season for sowing them according to the packet, if I could germinate and grow the seedlings up inside, would it be feasible or am I wasting my time?

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only just very recently started growing and am planting / sowing out of time, my stance is if it works great, if not then at least I know for next year. So far everything is sprouting.

You have nothing to lose and potentially plants to gain by trying.

Are you sure you can't find the plants in the UK as I've done a search and sellers pop up.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's perfectly OK to sow oregano now. You will only get the bog-standard plant though, not one of the more attractive varieties like those we grow in our perennial beds, where they're especially good for edging. They can only be raised from cuttings. I'm thinking of the various yellow leafed selections and good flowerers, like Herrenhausen  and Hopleys. Beware of Kent something- or- other though; it just loves to die!
  • madjackslammadjackslam Forumite
    278 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Self-sown seedlings are popping up all the time at the moment, so I'm sure now would be fine.
  • DD265DD265 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all, will give it a go. It's just to fill the final section in my herb planter. :)
    I've looked in two local garden centres - one big, one independent - The Range and the supermarket and no oregano to be found!
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to use it in cooking I recommend Oregano Hot and Spicy - discovered it last year .
    You may have to start it with a bought plant though