Redundancy rights with a US (American) Company

Hi,
I work for an American company based in the UK. I have been given a 1 month notice period by my employer that my employment will end (a “lay off”) and have been told I will receive no severance package/pay at the end of the 1 month.
I do not believe this is corrected. Do I have any rights to severance pay? I have been there for 3 years.
Any advice would be so helpful.

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
     They might be Americans but still need to work within uk Law. Yes you're entitled to redundancy. 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,582
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I work for an American company based in the UK. I have been given a 1 month notice period by my employer that my employment will end (a “lay off”) and have been told I will receive no severance package/pay at the end of the 1 month.
    I do not believe this is corrected. Do I have any rights to severance pay? I have been there for 3 years.
    Any advice would be so helpful.

Thank you.

Firstly you need to clarify exactly what they mean and determine what is permitted in your contract of employment  - a "lay-off" is not the same as redundancy / permanently ending your employment.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
     True, i read it as employment ending will end a lay off But read that wrong! 

Lay off as in you will be going back? 
    Or permanently finishing your job? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport