🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Payslips

Options
I have tried looking this up but get various answers. How long should I and my wife keep payslips please? 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends why you're keeping them really - for HMRC tax reasons the answers are given at https://www.gov.uk/keeping-your-pay-tax-records/how-long-to-keep-your-records
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've got a drawer full of the buggers  :)
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 June 2020 at 7:08PM
    Options
    Since they are all pdf's these days they take up no space so no problems! (I shredded all my old ones going back to the 90s when I moved home last!)
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    I have them back to 1984 (the early ones are handwritten).
  • inspectorperez
    Options
    If she pays pension contributions - forever!!
    I would never trust anyone else to maintain full and accurate records of what has been deducted from my gross pay which is going to benefit me in the future.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would never trust anyone else to maintain full and accurate records of what has been deducted from my gross pay which is going to benefit me in the future.
    They would make interesting reading in your retirement. I know my first wage, in 1969, was 7 guineas a week as an apprentice for GPO telephones. 
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • inspectorperez
    Options
    They would make interesting reading in your retirement. I know my first wage, in 1969, was 7 guineas a week as an apprentice for GPO telephones. 

What!!! They paid you?😃😃 It was only shortly before I started my accountancy training in 1969 that trainees actually started getting paid rather than pay their employer a premium for the privilege of being trained.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 June 2020 at 11:48PM
    Options
    Indeed...  a colleague of mine, due to retire this year, has been told by her pension - Teachers - that they have no record of contributions for 2 years, about 20 years back. She's sure she was on the pension scheme then - but has moved post - and around the country - several times since.  They've said payslips would do as evidence - but she doesn't have them, so has to go back to the school, which has changed management system, at least twice, since then.  So they may have difficulty too.  Never trust anyone other than yourself - and keep records!
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can log onto my pension account whenever I want and get a list of all of the contributions so I’d be surprised if I’m this day and age all reputable pensions don’t offer something similar. 

You can also log onto a government website which tells you where you are with your stamp contributions. 
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,872 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ballard said:
    I can log onto my pension account whenever I want and get a list of all of the contributions so I’d be surprised if I’m this day and age all reputable pensions don’t offer something similar. 

You can also log onto a government website which tells you where you are with your stamp contributions
    I haven't heard NI referred to like that since the last millennium. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure