Ebay and Tax

Options
sk2402005
sk2402005 Posts: 97 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 June 2020 at 5:18PM in Boost your income
I have been selling a bit on Ebay, and am making a bit of a profit, which is great, but im a little confused as to when i would start to pay tax.
I have read that everyone has a £1K tax free limit, but what im not so sure on is whether that is on the overall income, or just the profit (income minus expenses)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sk2402005 said:
    I have been selling a bit on Ebay, and am making a bit of a profit, which is great, but im a little confused as to when i would start to pay tax.
    I have read that everyone has a £1K tax free limit, but what im not so sure on is whether that is on the overall income, or just the profit (income minus expenses)

Thanks in advance.
    If you are only selling your own things then you will not have a tax liability.

However if you are making things to sell or buying things to sell then the trading allowance does apply and it is total income which on eBay will include all the postage etc, before fees. The details are here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6070793/1000-trading-allowance-is-made-clear-on-tax-return
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sk2402005
    sk2402005 Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2020 at 7:06AM
    Options
    Ok in this example what would be classed as expenses?
    Sale price £10
    EBay fee -£1
    Shipping -£3
    PayPal -60p
    Packaging -40p
    Original item cost -£4
    Profit £1

If I stayed within the £1k trading allowance in this example I would make £1 Profit, but once over @20% tax the profit would be £-1
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sk2402005 said:
    Ok in this example what would be classed as expenses?
    Sale price £10
    EBay fee -£1
    Shipping -£3
    PayPal -60p
    Packaging -40p
    Original item cost -£4
    Profit £1

If I stayed within the £1k trading allowance in this example I would make £1 Profit, but once over @20% tax the profit would be £0
    Your accounts are different to the trading allowance so don’t muddle the two. For the trading allowance it is total income, so about £19.50 a week coming in which includes the full sale price on eBay including postage. Exceed that and you need to declare to HMRC and submit accounts. However your accounts will show a taxable amount on which you pay tax and NI and that might be very low . So in your example above your accounts would show a bottom line profit of £1 which is your taxable figure. However if you have any personal allowances left after any PAYE or other income then they can be used against that profit to reduce your taxable amount.

For smaller businesses just keep details of all your expenses and total it all up at end of year and submit a 3 line set of accounts to HMRC on your tax return. So basically it is total income less all expenses equals net taxable profit. Your expenses can also include losses due to returns (and as a business you must accept change of mind returns) listing fees , ink for your printer , parking at Post office etc. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • _mybelle
    _mybelle Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    It's £1000 income. Not profit.  Hope this helps. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback